Notices

1996 Accord Misfire Issues

Old 12-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Accord96
Lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Accord Misfire Issues

Hi all, was hoping I could get some help with a misfire issue on my 1996 Accord Ex. I started getting CEL codes p301, p302, p303 and p1300 (corresponding cylinders and random misfire codes) about 2 1/2 months ago.

Since then, I have done a tune up consisting of changing the spark plugs, spark plug wires, pcm valve, distributor cap, rotor, and air filter. The same codes came back about 45 minutes later after driving it on the highway.

A friend told me to change the EGR valve, which I did. I changed it with a new one and again, the same codes came on ~30-45 minutes later. By now, I am starting to get fairly frustrated and wanted to get some ideas from you guys before continuing to drop money on unnecessary repairs.

I was told by another friend to either change the MAP sensor, replace injectors, or run seafoam thru my intake and fuel tank. Your thoughts?

Last edited by Accord96; 12-08-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:24 PM
P. Steve
1997 Accord EX V6

If the tach is bouncing around also, replacing the coil will sove your problem.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Accord96
Lurker

Originally Posted by P. Steve
If the tach is bouncing around also, replacing the coil will sove your problem.
Tach isn't acting abnormal, otherwise it'd be a good suggestion. :hs:
Old 12-12-2009, 12:22 PM
cruzalekz

do you hear any vaccum leaks when you pop the hood?/

if not, best thing to do is do a compression test to see hows the health of your engine.

with what you did, it should have been fixed already..... or or or or you might have missed to check ignition timing....

i bet you it has to be timing
Old 12-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Accord96
Lurker

Originally Posted by cruzalekz
do you hear any vaccum leaks when you pop the hood?/

if not, best thing to do is do a compression test to see hows the health of your engine.

with what you did, it should have been fixed already..... or or or or you might have missed to check ignition timing....

i bet you it has to be timing
No, I don't hear any vacuum leaks. I was thinking compression may be an issue, but my buddy insists that probably isn't the case, as the engine has 139,000 miles on it and he says that isn't really an issue or concern for a Honda until you hit ~200k+. It's been getting progressively worse; I am now averaging ~15-17 mpg and the car has taken to shaking at times when I maintain a constant speed and will sputter for ~5-10 seconds at start up. Beginning to wonder if it is an o2 sensor problem.

I forgot to mention another reason I don't think it's compression or timing is it has no problems running under hard acceleration; on the highway actually it seems to want to run like a bat out of hell. If it were compression related I don't think I would still have the torque/acceleration there. It just doesn't seem to like to drive at slower speeds around town and is sluggish at less than half throttle.

Last edited by Accord96; 12-14-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:00 AM
cruzalekz

did you recheck the ignition timing?

maybe an ignition coil problem... but still, i would recommend doing a compressison test

Last edited by cruzalekz; 12-19-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Accord96
Lurker

Ok, thread update. I have ran a compression test, which came back normal compression. I also put seafoam thru it and replaced the distributor...problem still remains. This is getting old and I am beginning to run out of ideas.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:45 AM
cruzalekz

ok, since the mechanical side of your car is good, your ignition system with all the parts you replaced should be good as well, then from here, i would say check the fuel pressure.

also if you have access to a scanner, since your car is a 1996 obd2. check the oxegen sensor mv for me and tell me lows and the highs of the primary o2 sensor. also, try this one just for the heck of it,, unplug your idle air control connector and see if your symtoms disapper,,, with the scanner, also check the Long term fuel trim, one more thing, check the map sensor reading at idle
Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 PM
handymann

Originally Posted by Accord96
Hi all, was hoping I could get some help with a misfire issue on my 1996 Accord Ex. I started getting CEL codes p301, p302, p303 and p1300 (corresponding cylinders and random misfire codes) about 2 1/2 months ago.

Since then, I have done a tune up consisting of changing the spark plugs, spark plug wires, pcm valve, distributor cap, rotor, and air filter. The same codes came back about 45 minutes later after driving it on the highway.

A friend told me to change the EGR valve, which I did. I changed it with a new one and again, the same codes came on ~30-45 minutes later. By now, I am starting to get fairly frustrated and wanted to get some ideas from you guys before continuing to drop money on unnecessary repairs.

I was told by another friend to either change the MAP sensor, replace injectors, or run seafoam thru my intake and fuel tank. Your thoughts?

I have a 96 Honda i having the same exact issues with my car just wondering if you find out what was the problem?? I changed everything i thot was the problem EGR, Fuel filter, Plugs wires, distributor an rotor, catalytic converter