Notices

'99 accord shift lock out

Old 10-31-2009, 07:21 PM
tobytigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 accord shift lock out

Battery is fully charged and engine would not start. Lights on, radio, etc and no sounds coming from engine compartment when attempting to start. After numerous attempts, decided to shift into drive and reverse and back to park. Finally engine started. After starting normally during the afternoon, same thing occured late in day and playing with the shifter resulted in engine start. Any suggestions as to what could be malfuntioning?
Old 11-02-2009, 05:48 AM
danni*j
Shenanigans

Have you checked the starter or starter soleniod? Does the engine turn over at all when you turn the key?
Old 11-02-2009, 07:48 AM
tobytigger

The engine does not turn over. I do hear the fuel pump and the check engine light goes out after a few seconds. Haven't checked the starter or solenoid. Can you tell me the general location of the starter on a 99 accord? Can the solenoid be replaced separately and is that hard to do? I've done brakes, spark plugs but don't have extensive tools.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:56 AM
danni*j
Shenanigans

I know on my 93 the starter and solenoid are combined in a semi-single housing. it was fairly easy to do. 3 bolts and a ground wire. i used a 14mm and 17mm wrench and socket, took bout 45min to take off and 1 hr to put the new one on. $95 (totally worth it im my opinion) at AutoZone. The location should be about in the same area. If Im looking at my engine it was on the left side near, almost 1/2 under the distributor. Kinda looks like 2 tubes connected to each other bout 4-5 inches long. Your symptoms are almost exactly what was happening to me.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:15 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...S840_B3501.gif

I think that it'd be the shift lock solenoid (#2); seems to me like it's just not registering you're in park.

Put your car in drive before attempting to start it, I bet you notice the same symptoms.