Notices

moonroof vs. sunroof - difference?

Old 02-23-2003, 12:08 PM
aor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moonroof vs. sunroof - difference?

is there a difference between a moonroof and a sunroof? pros and cons of each?

muchos gracias!

Old 02-23-2003, 01:10 PM
AadosX

I think...

Technically a moon roof slides back but a sunroof doesnt. But most ppl just call them all sunroofs.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:32 PM
captainsaveaho
lovez $avinG hoe$

sunroof sticks upward and slides back on top of roof, moon roofs slides into the roof. sunroofs have the potential of flying off
Old 02-23-2003, 01:52 PM
SWOOSHER21
Fight Rice

good thing us accord owners have moon roofs.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:58 PM
aor

heh, nice, thanks guys!
Old 02-23-2003, 02:46 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

sunroof ... non motorized, you have to manually open it up and it doesn't completely slide back, it just cracks open. (just like the back windows on a minivan)

moonroof ... motorized, slides completely open. there are 2 styles, 1 where the glass retracts into the roof of the car. 1 where the glass slides open and hangs over the roof of the car.

sunroofs kinda look ghetto. you get the extra light, but it really doesn't do much .. it just pops open

moonroofs are ... the glass completey slides open and it's just like having a window on the top of your car.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:49 PM
dantastic
cx power!

after reading a gazillion brochures, glass sunroof = moon roof. doesnt matter if it tilts, slides in or out.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:02 PM
mayonaise

Originally posted by dantastic
after reading a gazillion brochures, glass sunroof = moon roof. doesnt matter if it tilts, slides in or out.
i can't believe no one else knew this...

a sun roof has no glass, you can't seen thru it, and slides open. no, it doesn't matter how it slides open, where it slides to, etc... as long as it slides open, its a sunroof.

a moon roof is glass, and doesn't necessarily open in any way.

isn't it obvious? i mean a sun roof means you get direct sunlight. a moon roof (which was introduced after the sun roof) allows you to see the sky, without having to expose yourself to the weather. so you can take it as being able to see the sky at night from your car, but the name "moon" was probably also selected to contrast "sun."

sun/moon roofs that tilt open are called.... TILT sun roofs. or tilt moon roofs, whatever.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:59 PM
showgunz

Originally posted by mayonaise
i can't believe no one else knew this...

a sun roof has no glass, you can't seen thru it, and slides open. no, it doesn't matter how it slides open, where it slides to, etc... as long as it slides open, its a sunroof.

a moon roof is glass, and doesn't necessarily open in any way.

isn't it obvious? i mean a sun roof means you get direct sunlight. a moon roof (which was introduced after the sun roof) allows you to see the sky, without having to expose yourself to the weather. so you can take it as being able to see the sky at night from your car, but the name "moon" was probably also selected to contrast "sun."

sun/moon roofs that tilt open are called.... TILT sun roofs. or tilt moon roofs, whatever.
Agreed. At least many people on this thread are agreeing on the main element that sunroofs are the older and limited (in fuction) options on cars and moonroofs are what's more offered as options on cars today. Some people call moonroofs, sunroofs, just because sunroofs came out first and it's a more widely accepted term for roof openings. But I agree with mayonaise's definition.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:44 PM
captainsaveaho
lovez $avinG hoe$

i don't, but who cares...................personally, i had a sunroof(yes theres glass) on a older model car, but when i upgraded to the accord, i was introduced to moonroofs:bigok: