Notices

2003 Accord CEL after brake job?

Old 01-16-2009, 04:44 PM
thisismatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Accord CEL after brake job?

I did the front brakes pads on my mom's 2003 accord yesterday (Hawk HP pads...feel quite a bit better than the OEM's that were on there). I also changed the oil & filter which I've done a dozen times. Today she noticed the CEL was on. I can't say for sure it just came on, but that would be kind of a coincidence.

Did I neglect to do something special regarding the ABS system when changing the pads? Can I reset the CEL to see if it comes back on? How (it's the CEL, not maintenance indicator)? Also, some brake fluid spilled from the reservoir since it was full with worn pads and overflowed when I pushed the caliper pistons back in. I washed the area with some soap and water - perhaps I got something wet that caused the CEL to come on? The car feels like it's running perfectly normal.

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:42 PM
cruzalekz

best thing to do is to find out what the code is, i dont think it has to do with the abs coz the abs has a separate warning light.
i dont think there are wires that are on the way when u do the oil change so i think its only a coincidence.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:19 PM
thisismatt

Ah, I forgot to mention I'm in California and apparently nobody (Kragen, Napa, Autozone, etc) will read codes anymore...something about a law suit or lack of licensing BS. Cali...love/hate.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:25 AM
cruzalekz

take it to a local shop and theyll charge you for it i guess. cant really fix a cel if you dont know what circuit has the problem.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:13 PM
thisismatt

Well, whatever it was (maybe just not tight enough gas cap) the light went off on its own today so there isn't any real problem like I suspected.