Notices

Hi All...NooB Here...Changing Noisey Belts!

Old 10-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Hiskid1973

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi All...NooB Here...Changing Noisey Belts!

Just got my first Honda, an 02 Accord. It is the 4 cyl. v-tech. It has 54K and was cared for very well..My first project is noisy accessory belts( I assume that's what they are called). I tried some belt lube and it quieted it but now it is worse. I just went and got new belt. Can anyone direct me to a page where there is a diagram and list of tools needed...Thanks..God Bless You. K
Old 10-21-2008, 06:01 AM
losiglow

I don't know of any sites with details on the job, though a lot of the guys around here might have something up their sleeve. I'd personally get a cheapo hayes or chilton manual at a local auto parts store. It will have all the details you'll need for the job. You could pony up a bit more dough for a Helms manual which will go into much greater detail. One of the three would be helpful for future work on the car.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:13 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

All you should need is a basic ratchet and socket set. Best to have the manual so you know what to torque things down to, belt tension etc. but most people just get them to where they feel tight enough, same with the bolts.

For that car, I'm not sure if it's a serpentine belt or not. If it is, you'd need to adjust/move the tensioner to slack the belt, remove it, replace it with new.
If not serpentine, the alternator should be on a separate belt, and the A/C and PowerSteering may share a belt. Regardless though, for that setup it's somewhat self explanatory. You need to loosen the upper and lower (or sometimes just upper) bolts on the alt to get the belt off and on. The P/S should have two mounting bolts, once those are loose you can use the adjusting bolt at the top to move it up and down for replacement of the belt and then getting it tight.

The belts don't have to be insanely tight, but try and tension the new belts a bit more than the old ones as they'll loosen up a bit after being run.