Notices

90 Accord Sport Light

Old 10-07-2008, 09:57 AM
jc0507

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Accord Sport Light

I have a 1990 Accord that has a problem with the "Sport" light that only occurs sometimes. The light has come on when I start the car (then it goes off a few minutes later), when I am driving at slow speed (again then it goes off a minute or so later) and when I am driving on the freeway (again going off a minute or so later). Every time it happens I lose 1st gear (when I am start off from a light) or I lose 4th gear and it downshifts (while I was on the freeway (pretty scary when you are going 75mph and it revs up)). This has been a problem that can happen every other day or not happen for a week or two, then it starts happening again.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening??

I did some research and removed the TCU to inspect it and it appeared OK (no brown or black spots inside the unit). Should I replace it anyway? I would hate to spend the money to replace something that wasn't broke.

I had the transmission serviced and the guy told me he couldn't get a code so he only changed the transmission fluid.

I am really frustrated with this problem because other than this problem it has been a great car (I've had it for 15 years).

ANY HELP OR IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
THANKS!
Old 10-11-2008, 05:12 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

As long as they used Genuine Honda ATF for the fluid change, that's a good start. It's always possible that too much damage has been done for a fluid change to actually remedy an issue, but there are exceptions to that. Changing the fluid, especially if you do it yourself, is relatively cheap and a smart first step (as well as an important regular maintenance item) if the transmission is acting differently.
I believe on the older Sportshift models, that the S light - either S3 or S4 unless I'm misunderstanding your post - will illuminate instead of just D4 or whatever would light up on a traditional Honda automatic(not that they're really all that different). Just a way to let you know something is up, meant as an early warning indicator.

Last edited by A-series; 10-11-2008 at 05:15 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:47 AM
jc0507

Thanks for the reply A-series,
The light that keeps coming on is the green "S" light. The problem I have is when I start the car the "S" light comes on (I don’t use the button that you press on the shifter for Sport Mode) and stays on for a few minutes then it goes off. Sometime the light will come on for a few minutes while I am driving. When the light comes on, I have the shifting issues (1st and 4th gears don’t work). When the light goes off, everything runs normal. By the way, I have never had the D3 or D4 warning lights blink.

I found this link online (http://en.allexperts.com/q/Honda-Rep...t-properly.htm) with someone else having the same problem, but I didn’t want to replace the TCU, if it isn’t the problem. I just wanted someone else's option.

ANY HELP OR OPINIONS WOULD BE GREAT.
THANKS!

Last edited by jc0507; 10-11-2008 at 04:42 PM.