Notices

b18 in an accord

Old 12-03-2002, 03:34 AM
99accord
www.poksquid.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18 in an accord

anyone ever hear of a b18 transplant in an accord? i know that it's a reduction in displacement but has it been done? does another cam really make that much of a difference?
Old 12-03-2002, 03:40 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

Yes it will be sick to have more hp and less torque than the stock motor

Old 12-03-2002, 08:04 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

I've been working on compiling the wheel hp/torq dyno graphs of several engine types. One such graph includes the stock Accord F23 Vs. a B-series. The problem with a B-series in an Accord especially a 5th gen or newer. Is its weight. the F-series actually makes way more hp and torque before 6-grand then any B-series. The B-s work in Tegs and Civics b/c they are way light cars in comparison. Better to build an F or swap for an H in an Accord then to ever comtemplate B-series. However, a fully built and turboed B may have promise in an Accord if top end was your goal. A swap I have yet to see which would be killer around town is an F-series into a Civic or Teg. The F-Series and H-series are nearly identical in Hp and Torq until 5000rpm. Swaping an F into a Civic hatch should easily whip up on a B16 and maybe a stock B18C even, it would be a way cheap torq machine. Some European market Accord have 1.8l F-series non-Vtec engines. However, these engines run much higher compression ratios due to better gas then our typical non-vtec F series. In addtion, these engines still have longer strokes then B's which equals better torq.:thumbup:
Old 12-03-2002, 08:15 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

Originally posted by MrChad
I've been working on compiling the wheel hp/torq dyno graphs of several engine types. One such graph includes the stock Accord F23 Vs. a B-series. The problem with a B-series in an Accord especially a 5th gen or newer. Is its weight. the F-series actually makes way more hp and torque before 6-grand then any B-series. The B-s work in Tegs and Civics b/c they are way light cars in comparison. Better to build an F or swap for an H in an Accord then to ever comtemplate B-series. However, a fully built and turboed B may have promise in an Accord if top end was your goal. A swap I have yet to see which would be killer around town is an F-series into a Civic or Teg. The F-Series and H-series are nearly identical in Hp and Torq until 5000rpm. Swaping an F into a Civic hatch should easily whip up on a B16 and maybe a stock B18C even, it would be a way cheap torq machine. Some European market Accord have 1.8l F-series non-Vtec engines. However, these engines run much higher compression ratios due to better gas then our typical non-vtec F series. In addtion, these engines still have longer strokes then B's which equals better torq.:thumbup:
yep I think an F22b1 into a civic would be pretty sweet, only problem is you still have to pay use special mounts like you would for a h22.

I think those Euro-accords are actually smaller than USDM ones so they do have less weight.

I agree about the power F v. H series. There isn't a big difference till VTEC.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:28 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

I was really very surprise once I graphed the results to see the F and H so nearly identical before the preludes vtec kick. The Accord and Lude don't even share the same bore or stroke. A fully built Accord F-series that could handle say a 7-7500 redline on high compression would really be an Awesome torque monster as Hondas go and would likely perform better around town then a stock H-series.

Yes the Civ/Teg crowd would need the special mounts but Vtec F's are so cheap they may even be able to get one for free so I still think it would be an Economical swap over a non-Vtec D or B series for power to start with.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:28 AM
vtecinside
Cracker Quack!

Originally posted by MrChad
A swap I have yet to see which would be killer around town is an F-series into a Civic or Teg.
i believe this has been done to a hatch and is worth it if you have an Fmotor lying around....don't go put and buy one just for the swap...
Old 12-03-2002, 12:10 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

I think we need some picks of this motor in a hatch!!!

another interesting trend I have noticed is that D-series mock B-series before Vtec just like H/F series model before Vtec switch.

Ok so what? Well D's modified with High comp-ratios and full port work can out perform on the dyno stock B's by a far margine.

Taking this into concideration is it wrong to theorize a fully built High compression (10.5-11:1)SOHC VTEC F22/23 could out perform a stock H22 the way a D16 SOHC VTEC outperforms a stock B16 Vtec? In teresting to note b/c of the D-series longer stroke low end torq is better then that by a small margin of the B16.

These graphs can be constructed from actual wheel dyno graphs from Import Tuner and JG Engine Dynamics web sides if anyone cares.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:36 PM
SlowLow5thGen

with h22's and f22's sharing the same literage, what's to prevent someone from picking up type s pistons and rods? or even just pistons?

a part's list of swappable internals might be in order... cause i have 2 spare f23's laying in my garage, both with pistons so if i can make some power on my f22 by swapping those out then **** lets get to it...
Old 12-03-2002, 06:23 PM
99accord
www.poksquid.com

yeah boy!

sorry... got lost and had to get in on it...
Old 12-03-2002, 07:12 PM
Fryd_Up
rebmeM roineS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dunno if anyones mentioned this, but if you own a 3rd gen accord then the common swap to do is a b16 or b18. However yeah, 4th gen and up, I'd say h22 is more practical.