Notices

Filling AT fluid through speed sensor opening

Old 07-31-2008, 07:00 AM
rg2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filling AT fluid through speed sensor opening

Does anyone have any photos to further explain how to refill the tranny through the port by the speed sensor on a 96 Accord LX? Thanks
Old 07-31-2008, 08:27 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Auto tranny? WHY are you trying to fill it there? What's wrong with filling at the dipstick hole?

Manual trannys can be filled at the VSS because there is no dipstick.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:42 AM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

i'm gonna have to agree with jim. You need a long funnel, stick it in the dipstick hole. Begin to fill it up and check it with the engine running. Make sure you go through the gears with the engine running. This will allow fluid to fill some of the chambers.

MT, you just take out the speedo gear and fill it there. Checking them is a PIA cause you have to stick the speedo gear back in the tranny and pull it out again to see if its full or on the gear itself. This is a PIA cause they generally don't fit in and out with ease.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:02 PM
JimBlake

Honda manual trannys have a fill plug about level with the axle. You fill up till it runs out. But many people think its easier to fill thru the VSS. I didn't know the speedo gear is at the proper elevation to use it to measure fluid level.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:22 AM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

it migth have been on my 94 cause i thought that was how i filled it. I know on my mx6 thats what you do and i've seen a few fords your supposed to measure by the speedo gear. What your saying about till draining out i think thats what i did actually now thinking about it.............. yea i did cause i had to rig up a funnel that would go in the side.......that was a fun memory lol.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:47 AM
JimBlake

Yeah, the method for Mazda or Ford doesn't count. Every company has their own favorite way to do stuff.