Notices

My Honda is DEAD!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:34 AM
trickmp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Honda is DEAD!

Very sad day of my life.

I have a 1990 Honda Accord LX, which was working about 12 hours ago. Now, she won't turn over. Autozone is telling me it's the distributor that's broken, which is $200, then since I don't know how to put it in, I have to pay someone to install it.

I'm over fixing things in this car. I loved it, I really did. But i've replaced two struts, battery, alternator, all four tires, air filter and more. If it was a simple fix i'd do it, but I don't have $300 in today's economy.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:32 PM
losiglow

They're pulling your chain. Don't pay $200 for a distributor. Here's on one ebay used for $45

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-1...spagenameZWDVW

Or new @ $70

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-1...spagenameZWDVW

It's not a hard part to replace, with a cheap hayes manual from an autoparts store you could probably do it yourself. Even if you have someone do it I doubt a good shop will charge you more than 1 hour labor to do it (which usually runs $50-$90).

Total cost DIY: about $50 if you go with the used part
Total cost for install: $150 max, around $100 if you call a few shops first and get some quotes.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:39 PM
trickmp

Damn, nice. Used is okay? I don't want this too happen again.

I'd like to self-install it, I hate paying guys 70$ for ten minutes of work. Ugh.

Sweet. I'm moving though, so I don't know where to leave my car or get the part shipped too. =X
Old 07-23-2008, 12:51 PM
losiglow

I would probably fork out the little extra for the new since the distributor failure problem is somewhat common in the 90-91 Accords at higher mileage. I'd certainly look into installing it yourself. I haven't replaced a distributor on a 4th gen accord but I know it isn't that tough. It might require removal of the valve cover but I'm not sure. Some other guys on the forum might have more insight.

Either way, invest in a manual, preferably the helms manual from helmsinc.com (usually around $70), or the cheaper hayes manual (around $15) from an auto parts store which is significantly cheaper but doesn't have quite the detail that a helms would have. The hayes would be sufficient for a job like this though.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:10 PM
trickmp

Cool cool. Thanks so much for your advice!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:15 PM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

You unscrew 2 bolts, take old one off, but new one back on, put the two bolts back on and your done...cake
Old 07-23-2008, 05:04 PM
BilltheButcher
Witchking of Compton

Yea the distributor is gravy, you can go used, just do a full tune up, spend 12 bucks for the cap and rotor, and spend 15 bucks on some new plugs! You could be done in less than an hour, an thats noob time. Just have a 10mm and 12 mm wrench and socket handy.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 PM
trickmp

Okay. UPDATE.

Verrrrrrrrrrry strange. I went downstairs with my roommate, we had some errands to do, and I was going to try to turn it over one last time. As I was walking towards my car I remembered I had my remote starter and wanted to see how that would work out.

WELL. It turned my car over and it's been running smoothly since. I also turned it off and then back on with the key, so it can't be the key ignition could it?

I don't want this too happen again. I was very scared. ANY clue what it could be? =[
Old 07-24-2008, 05:03 AM
DOZ5

I think you got an issue with your remote starter. Is there a way for you to unplug the power harness and still be able to use the key switch?