Notices

Accord 90 hard to shift manual transmission

Old 07-22-2008, 03:00 AM
donyodo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord 90 hard to shift manual transmission

I'm having problem shifting into gears in my 1990 Honda Accord, does anybody has suggestions. Thanks
donyodo
Old 07-22-2008, 05:19 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kinda vague, give us more description.
Like excessive friction working the lever itself?
Or lever works OK but gates are sloppy & you cant find them?
Or synchros are shot & all it does is grind?

Shifter is cable-operated so maybe the cables are rusty & sticking in their sleeves? Check the action of the shift levers out at the tranny. The ends of the cables are sorta below the throttlebody.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:13 AM
donyodo

Default I'm having problem shifting into gears in my 1990 Honda Accord, does anybody has sugg

My problem is that when I try to shift into any gear, especially after the car has come to a stop or has been sitting overnight, I have to push hard the shifter level until I get it to engage in any gear, once in a gear I get the car moving forward or backwards and then with difficulty I am able to shift into first, from there on I get the car rolling and still with some problem go to the rest of the gears selection and drive to my destination.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:18 PM
tommytomtom17
Honda Driver

Sounds like a clutch if you have it get it rolling before it will go into gear. When you are shifting while driving its hard to get in and out of gear because your not using the clutch, and your RPMs are not right. You should be able to shift with little pressure not using the clutch if you try at the right RPMs.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:27 PM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

are you talking abotu an automatic or a manual. It sounds like a manual but my auto has a good sticking to it when it sits for a while or whatever. You try to pull it out of park down to drive and it's hard to do. Almost like it needs lube. No clue where to lube an auto lever though...
Old 07-28-2008, 06:19 AM
JimBlake

Both of you can remove trim around the shift lever. Look for cable(s) going forward from the lever assembly. Auto has 1 cable, manual has 2.

If you can disconnect the cable(s), you'll see whether the lever itself is sticking or not. Then go from there depending on what you find.

It's not real common to have cables that start rusting & sticking. But it does happen. Seems like it would be even less common for the shift lever to stick since its inside, more protected from salt & corrosion.

Last edited by JimBlake; 07-28-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:23 AM
JimBlake

Originally Posted by donyodo
My problem is that when I try to shift into any gear, especially after the car has come to a stop or has been sitting overnight, I have to push hard the shifter level until I get it to engage in any gear, once in a gear I get the car moving forward or backwards and then with difficulty I am able to shift into first, from there on I get the car rolling and still with some problem go to the rest of the gears selection and drive to my destination.
How does the action of the shift lever feel when the engine is turned off? If your problem is a dragging clutch, you should be able to shift easily when the engine is not running & you press down the clutch pedal.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:36 PM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

damnit jim i was about to ask the same thing. For some reason on the drive home it came to mind that i never asked that. Dont' ask me why i thought of this post..................... I would try shifting the gears with the engine off as stated above. If its still hard there as well then it could be a linkage issue or more fun things (sarcasim).
Old 07-29-2008, 07:38 PM
JimBlake

Originally Posted by vtec4clyfury
damnit jim....
HAHAHA, I beat ya to it!
Old 07-30-2008, 05:50 AM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

this thought occured to me too. I'm going to go spray the tranny arm with some pb blaster. If everything underneath the hood was as dirty as it was before i started to clean stuff out i had teh thought maybe some dirt could have gotten in between the arm and tranny. I also got my drivers door to stop sticking last night.

Had to clean the surfact between the door seal and frame. Then i sprayed it with silicon spray and hit the surface of teh fram and quater window as well. No probs getting out now