Notices

VTEC Error HELP

Old 07-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Icon Of Sin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC Error HELP

allright this is a baffling problem ive had for the past few months.

my car is a 2001 Accord EX with the F23A4 and 4 SPD Auto transmission.

CEL is on code is P1259 Vtec malfunction.

When its on a majority of the time the ECU limits the RPM to around 3900 vtec engages at 4000 RPM. Sometimes its solved by turning the car off and back on sometimes its not.

Half the time the 3900 RPM limit kicks in the engine sounds different and crappy, it also accelerates sluggish. I believe thats because the ECU goes into safe mode or limp home mode.

Ive cleaned the solenoid actuator and the solenoid as best as I can. I cant take the whole thing off as I cant get the bottom 3 bolts off.

the times ive done that usually the CEL goes off only to come back on a short time later. Same if I reset the ECU after cleaning it.

a few times the CEL has turned off on its own again only to come back on a little later.

Yesterday I took the car to a dealer to have it looked at. They said the problem was because I was down a quart of oil which was strange because I had an oil change about 400 miles, 2 weeks ago and i know i put enough in.

I changed the oil once I got it back from the dealer as they topped it off with normal oil and I had synthetic.

I noticed the oil looked really dirty considering its only been in for 400 miles or so.

It also looked like oil was leaking from somewhere on the driver side of the car which was later confirmed when my friend told me when I was at his house I left some oil on his driveway.

After changing the oil the problem was still there.

Originally I thought the problem was with the Vtec solenoid either the actuator spring or the seals, but after noticing the oil leak im wondering if its that since Vtec is operated by oil pressure.

The oil light has not come on its flickered twice once when I was parked on an incline and another sitting at a stop light, but its never stayed or come completely on.

ANY help as to what this might be is greatly appreciated. This has baffled everyone so far.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:08 AM
W1cK3d

can you take a picture with the car a lift or something to see exactly where the leak is from?
also, check your oil pan.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Icon Of Sin

Oil leak was front crank seal. Shop took care of it as I dont have the tools for that kinda thing. Only cost 200 bux or so.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Icon Of Sin

Well tho the front crank seal was infact bad it was not the source of the problem.

Its still doing that crap.

its gotten a little worse, the engine sounds like shit, its kinda quieter and a little deeper, its not the way it should sound.

The Oil light flickers when I idle at stoplights but if i give the car a little gas the light flicker goes away.

The CEL turned its self off for a little while (about 10 miles) then came back on but the screwed up engine sound remains.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Icon Of Sin

Dealer found the problem. Ive got an oil flow issue in the lower half of the engine. The top half of the engine is not getting enough oil.

Chances are im going to replace the car. If it cant be fixed for under about 800 bux im not going to fix it, but im not getting rid of it over time i shal bring it back. Im most likely going to replace it with another accord or a prelude. Small chance of a WRX but im not counting on it.