Notices

96 accord brake rotors

Old 07-08-2008, 11:04 PM
lalonaruto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 accord brake rotors

hi my car shakes when i am trying to stop, looks like i have to change the rotors. i have heard the rotors on my car are compressed. can any one plz tell me if its true and what would be an easy way to change them. pictures and videos would really help. thx

Last edited by lalonaruto; 07-08-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:59 AM
DOZ5

Originally Posted by lalonaruto
hi my car shakes when i am trying to stop, looks like i have to change the rotors. i have heard the rotors on my car are compressed. can any one plz tell me if its true and what would be an easy way to change them. pictures and videos would really help. thx
Compressed rotors? I don't know about that!

Anyhow, Yes, I had that too. I replaced them (Fronts) with new ones. Pretty easy to do if you are mechanically inclined. Problem gone after that.

There are several cause for warped rotors, cheap ones, lug nuts too tight, Something else in you drive train front is loose.

Make sure you rule out vibration first. Jack the car and move the wheel assembly front to back (Of car) to make sure you don't have anything else loose.

If you are going to do work on your car, you should get the Helms manual for it. You can find them on ebay or buy directly form helmsinc.com.

Last edited by DOZ5; 07-09-2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:14 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Up thru 1997 Accords have a hub-over-rotor arrangement where you have to remove the wheelbearing cartridge to get the rotors off. Lots of people call them "pressed-on" rotors.

I don't have those, so I'm kinda vague on the details.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:28 AM
DOZ5

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Up thru 1997 Accords have a hub-over-rotor arrangement where you have to remove the wheelbearing cartridge to get the rotors off. Lots of people call them "pressed-on" rotors.

I don't have those, so I'm kinda vague on the details.
Is this what it is? See pic.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
13SV40_B22.gif (26.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-09-2008, 08:27 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, that's it.
The hub #3 is outside of the rotor #17, so you have to unbolt the bearing cartridge #2 from the steering knuckle.

I'm a little hazy about the difficult part. Maybe the problem is getting the bearing cartridge #2 to come off of the hub #3 to allow you to remove the rotor.