Notices

Serious VSS location help

Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 AM
GetInTheVan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious VSS location help

Hi, I'm having a very hard time locating the Vehicle Speed Sensor in my 96 accord ex 2.2 VTEC. We have looked all over the transmission , took off the air intake hoses and still no luck. Could somebody please give a detailed description of where it is or possibly include pictures? That would be a HUGE help..

Thanks
Old 06-16-2008, 01:05 PM
the 18th letter

Default Good Luck....

I haven't been able to get much help here finding mine on a 91 EX. Got a bunch of diagrams but hadn't helped much.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:56 PM
IkeRay
Aka #5

i replaced it, but I can't remember were it was. I took pictures of under the hood, but still couldn't remember...

good picture representation, its what helped me find it.

and in case you haven't bought it yet, the one on ebay is the same from the dealership but only 1/5th the price. dealership asks $100+ while the ebay one can be had for <$20.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:30 PM
GetInTheVan

Yeah i've got the part and i've seen that diagram and it didn't help :\.. I've read on another web site that it was on the back of the transmission almost directly under the throttle body..? does this sound right? thanks
Old 06-16-2008, 07:36 PM
IkeRay
Aka #5

let me go take a picture of it now that i "know" where its at.

edit: went out and looked and even with the manual (both FSM and Haynes) I couldn't for the life of me find it. I remember when I did it (2 years ago), after we found it, it was a "DUH" moment. its like, you look over it 4 or 5 times and then realize how dumb you are for overlooking it so much.

Originally Posted by GetInTheVan
Yeah i've got the part and i've seen that diagram and it didn't help :.. I've read on another web site that it was on the back of the transmission almost directly under the throttle body..? does this sound right? thanks
yeah, try under the throttle body, sounds like what we did. just pull the air intake tube off, should be able to access it like that. iirc it really helped to have a set of ratcheting box wrenches.

Last edited by IkeRay; 06-16-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:05 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why has NOBODY said anything about manual vs. automatic tranny? Ike's drawing is an automatic.

One goofy thing about that drawing. It's like the distributor & the transmission case are transparent. You need to look further back & further down, like below the throttlebody.

It HAS to be driven off the differential, which is back in the area where the axles come out...
Old 06-17-2008, 10:40 AM
IkeRay
Aka #5

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Why has NOBODY said anything about manual vs. automatic tranny? Ike's drawing is an automatic.

One goofy thing about that drawing. It's like the distributor & the transmission case are transparent. You need to look further back & further down, like below the throttlebody.

It HAS to be driven off the differential, which is back in the area where the axles come out...
even with the haynes, FSM, AND that drawing, I couldn't find it last night w/o pulling anything. I'm sure if I would've pulled the intake I might've found it.

the piece is held on by 2 10mm bolts.

and as far as manual/auto nothing should be that different under the hood, the VSS is still located on the transaxle.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:48 AM
AccordVT
Ian

This thread has me confused but If you haven't found it yet!: On my 94 automatic or manual tranny it is: If looking from the passengers side of the car at the distributor. Look at the transmission from the top. See if you can look down and see the passengers side axle coming out from the differential. There is a flat spot on top of the transmission there. Try and locate the wiring harness that leads to the VSS it will have a gray plastic plug and will be plugged in pointing down into the VSS.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:39 AM
fstop128

i have a 92 automatic. go to the distributor cap then to the left of it and down a bit to the thermostat housing now go more to the left and down alot.. it has 2 powersteering hoses coming off of it.. look at the part u have and then u will see it. there r many different models of vss. it is hard to find since diagrams and pictures r confusing..
Old 07-07-2008, 06:04 AM
BoyBlueS2K

I just replaced mine this weekend and it took me oveer an hour to find it the first time. If you remove the air intake hose and look directly below the throtle body - almost against the firewall you see it. If you miss it just keep looking back toword the firewall and in towords the middle of the car, assuming you are standing on the passenger side of the engine bay. BTW its easier to see from the passenger side of the car than it is standing in front of the car.

hope this helps

BTW mine is a 97 accord 4 cy non-vtec automatic.