Notices

Engine swap - Ideas?

Old 06-13-2008, 09:13 AM
inaccord
W.I.P.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap - Ideas?

I drive a '95 accord EX-V6.

I am wondering the different possibilities with engine swaps for this model and year...

Things I know already, but have additional questions:

H22A is a popular swap, but in the 4-cyl cars. How about the V-6 models?

V-6 models have a longer nose, or so I've heard. I have never measured.

The reasons for my questions about a swap is... my engine has loud knocking coming for the valve covers. I do not have much experience with engines and engine repair, but the dealership said that it is possibly my valves; not compressing or something to that effect. ??? I have priced ordering the same engine... code C27A4, but the prices I am getting are not much cheaper than a H22, minus the install fees.

Any direction, further questions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:21 AM
IkeRay
Aka #5

don't be discouraged, there is NOTHING wrong with your engine. you see, you have the C27A which is the same engine that was used in the 1987-1990 Acura Legend. these engines are imfamous for their lifter tick.

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...1/#post1214521

that is one solution, using auto-rx or seafoam can help reduce the lifter tick. another cure is to use lucas oil additive. best is to use both a seafoam/auto-rx and then add the lucas after you get done. I have 300k on my engine and it still ticks, but runs just as good...

as far as swapping in a 4cyl in place of the V6, you have to factor in putting in a new ECU, TCU, Trans, and a couple other small things. you need to, if you're going to swap engines, get one from japan run you about $450-500 on ebay or other places, after install about $1000.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:47 AM
inaccord
W.I.P.

Originally Posted by IkeRay
these engines are imfamous for their lifter tick.
maybe it was lifter and not valve ... either way, the knock started off quiet and has progressed into something that becomes irritating... I crank my stereo to drowned it out.

that is one solution, using auto-rx or seafoam can help reduce the lifter tick.
I have read other posts about seafoam... what is this and what is the purpose of using it?

as far as swapping in a 4cyl in place of the V6, you have to factor in putting in a new ECU, TCU, Trans, and a couple other small things.
I have been researching the H22 swap and have quite a extensive data pile going, but the only hangup is... will it swap into the V-6 body as well as it does in the 4-cyl... according to some... one motor mount move is the only problem with being a swap for swap in the 4-cyl Accords... is this the same case for the 6-cyl?
Old 06-13-2008, 02:21 PM
IkeRay
Aka #5

Originally Posted by inaccord
maybe it was lifter and not valve ... either way, the knock started off quiet and has progressed into something that becomes irritating... I crank my stereo to drowned it out.
I have never heard of it getting that loud...

I have read other posts about seafoam... what is this and what is the purpose of using it?
its a desludgafier LOL, all I know is that it cleans the gunk out of the engines, its apparently very effective. might also want to look into auto-rx as thats what the legend people tend to agree works better than seafoam.

I have been researching the H22 swap and have quite a extensive data pile going, but the only hangup is... will it swap into the V-6 body as well as it does in the 4-cyl... according to some... one motor mount move is the only problem with being a swap for swap in the 4-cyl Accords... is this the same case for the 6-cyl?
well, you would have to move the front engine mount back, as well as swap in all the components since none will be compatible, a/c power steering water pump, etc. or you can find similar model in a junkyard (there is one off 249 that has 4 or 5 5g accords in it) and buy the entire front clip (fenders, bumper, hood, lights) and then everything will fit easier.

I think first and foremost you should give it a good auto-rx treatment, or if you can't find auto-rx, settle for seafoam, available at autozone for $15 I believe. there is a 1/3:1/3:1/3 application method, crankcase, pvc, and gas tank, just do a search. then when you do the oil change right after that, add the lucas and see if that helps. if not, THEN look into an engine swap. It'll be much better to spend $25-30 to attempt to fix the problem than to spend $1000+ for an engine swap.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:45 AM
inaccord
W.I.P.

I have never heard of it getting that loud...

has gotten quite irritating...
Thanks for the info... I'll try the degunkifier <nice word> this week to see (or hear) if it makes a difference.