Notices

03 accord door lock problem?

Old 07-23-2007, 09:18 AM
smgtech
Honda Powered.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 accord door lock problem?

Hey to all! Im having a problem with my 03 accord coupe door locks. It started when the the driver side door would not open when I hit the keyless entry button...and then after I took the door panel off to take a look and put it back I believe I pulled something to far because now the door will not open from the inside and the wire is attached to the door handel as I double checked that! I did a search through these forums with the search feature and I don't think anyone has had this problem thusfar. Anyways can anyone help out with what I might need to buy and replace as the Honda service department charges $99...im not going that route because thats "highway robery!" Im thinking it may be an actuator or something? anyone have a clue?
Thanks,
smgtech
Old 07-23-2007, 11:11 AM
foot

99$ for diagnostic from a dealership is not highway robbery. Personally, I would have to trust an independent shop ALOT to work on my car. IDEALY, the shop rate is paying for trained technicians to perform the highest quality work on your vehicle. I give my customers the best service I can offer because I prefer job security than ripping customers off.

Anyway, I would check the linkage to the inner door handle. If the little plastic retainer near the end of the cable is broken, it won't stay locked into the holder and, though the handle is hooked to the cable, it wont open.

I have replaced countless door lock actuators in my time. It is likely failed. You can unplug and apply 12v to the door lock actuator, ( not the switch ) for just a moment and see if it works. This is a good way to test the actuator.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:01 PM
smgtech
Honda Powered.

thanks foot.

I will try the 12volts out and see how that works...

Ive done this stuff before but not on newer model accords...

it was $99/hour whether they find the problem out or not which kind of ticked me off because they could be sitting down scratching their buts for the better part of the hour...your shop is most likely different.

I double checked the linkage between the inner door handel closest to the door panel and the plastic is not broken Im guessing it must be something internal in the actuator?

Last but not least, how do I take off and re-apply the plastic that keeps the door insilated? I want to keep that on there when Im done!

Thanks again for your help.
smgtech.

Last edited by smgtech; 07-23-2007 at 01:03 PM. Reason: adding to
Old 07-23-2007, 05:46 PM
foot

I have seen tape used before but it doesn't last very long. I HATE that gooey crap honda uses on those rain guards. If you can't get the original stuff to stick anymore, use "spray glue". It is what I use. It is very cheap. Comes in a spray can.

About the inner door handle not opening the door; If the inner door handle worked before you removed the door panel then something either broke or became disconnected. I mentioned breaking the piece of plastic that secures the cable guide tube because I broke it the first time I removed one of these bastard door panels.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:08 PM
smgtech
Honda Powered.

where can I pick up an actuator for decent price besides the junkyard? and I guess you can pick up a can of spray glue at your local auto parts story? Thanks man your a great help!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:31 PM
foot

Honda door lock actuators seem to be one of their weak points. I don't know about aftermarket, dealer is where I work and it's what I know...

If you can find one cheaper, new, it's probably just as good if not better.

I would stay clear of a junkyard. Yea, spray glue best bet is a hardware store.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:43 AM
smgtech
Honda Powered.

RESOLVED! Thanks foot. The actuator was the problem. I had Honda Service Department do it instead of me...cost: $217 after taxes...small price to pay to make sure it was done right in the least amount of time and they put the vapor guard plastic back on too...
Old 07-26-2007, 07:10 PM
foot

You're welcome.