Notices

Certified pre-owned? How much does honda charge dealers?

Old 03-12-2007, 08:59 AM
plunk10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Certified pre-owned? How much does honda charge dealers?

So I'm thinking about picking up a used certified pre-owned accord. What surprises me is the huge difference between the manheim auction prices and the actual asking prices at most of the dealers in my area ($6k-8k difference). Many other cars are not so far apart between the manheim price, and asking price. While I know that used cars are generally a cash cow for dealerships, I want to make sure I'm not getting raped sideways in the deal.

I'm considering a 2003-2005 Accord 4cyl sedan with a manual transmission.

What I'd like to know is... How much does Honda "charge" their dealerships to mark a vehicle as "certified pre-owned"? Or does it even work this way?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:39 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

honda certification is something that can be done on the spot. It typically adds $1000 of "value" to the sticker price.

I purchased my 2000 Honda Accord from an Acura dealership in 2001. I asked about certification and the salesman had to verify (over the phone with Honda corporate) that my car was eligibles. He handed over the vin, I got a piece of paper, and it was "certified" on the spot.

Certification happens when the car has gone though a stiff inspection. Either the Acura lot did it before I got there (I have no idea) or it's a bunch of marketing BS to make shoppers buy from the dealer ... and not places like CarMax.

In a best case situation ...
- car is inspected heavily at the dealer
- car is then "honda certified" ... basically saying it's in tip top condition.
- because it is certified, your drive train guarantee is extended to 100k

Last edited by e3NiNe; 03-12-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:34 PM
k.heiner

They actually certify them at the dealership. You can tell if a car has been inspected or not by the dealership by looking for a colored dot in the passenger corner of the winshield. It's small, but check. Sometimes they have cars on the lot that they just haven't checked for certification.