Notices

Brake Light Issue-6th Gen

Old 10-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Hondapower80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light Issue-6th Gen

I just noticed that on my gauge cluster, the brake lamp light is illuminated. It is not the e-brake light but the brake light emblem below the trunk light sensor that comes on when one of your brake light bulbs is about to go out. THe weird thing is currently all the brake lights work just fine and are not burnt out . Also, when I turn off the car and start it, the light does not come on. It becomes illuminated after depressing the brake pedal and stays on afterwards. Has anyone come across this issue, or could it be a faulty sensor?

Last edited by Hondapower80; 10-01-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:48 PM
elton_hsu

check your brake fluid, if the fluid is clear and sufficient, then it could be the sensor on the cap of brake fluid reservoir went bad.
i had it replaced once about 2 years ago.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:55 AM
skabone69

yeah definatly check your brake fluid level. I had a rear caliper fail on me and the only thing that clued me off was that the brake light started going off. eventually I had to start adding brake fluid every other day till I could make it to the shop. not saying that that will happen to your car, but definatly check your brake fluid level.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Hondapower80

I appreciate the quick reponses.

I checked the brake fluid level, and it is at the max. I had it drained and refilled back in the spring, and I don't think it is the brakes. I think it is more electrical. Also, the "brake lamp" indicator light is on, not the brake light. This light is below the light that shows if the trunk is open. I checked again tonight, and all the brake lights work fine unless it is warning me one of them is about to burn out.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:55 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hondapower80
I appreciate the quick reponses.

I checked the brake fluid level, and it is at the max. I had it drained and refilled back in the spring, and I don't think it is the brakes. I think it is more electrical. Also, the "brake lamp" indicator light is on, not the brake light. This light is below the light that shows if the trunk is open. I checked again tonight, and all the brake lights work fine unless it is warning me one of them is about to burn out.
It's a common 6gen issue. Try resetting the ECU if it bugs you or else it'll go away on its own. Probably a bad ground.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Hondapower80

98coupeV6,

Thanks man. I didn't know that it was a common issue with the 6th gen.

Now, I have the joy of waking up in the morning and praying I don't have hail damage.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:55 PM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That 'BRAKE LAMP' warning is for burned-out brakelamp bulbs. It works by comparing electrical load from side-to-side, but it can be a little too sensitive. Check for corrosion or dirt in the bulb sockets, even tho the lamps all work. Sometimes different types of bulbs are different enough to set that off. Occasionally people have to replace all the bulbs just so they match.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:40 PM
losiglow

It's not the center brake light is it? The one in your rear window? The same thing happened to me but none of the tail brake lights were out. It took me a few days to realize it was the center brake light. Replaced it and problem solved. I definately LoLed at myself for that one.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Hondapower80

I finally got around to disconnecting my battery for 20 minutes after getting the radio code from my dealership(did not come with the car).

Unfortunately, the brake lamp light is still illuminated. I even replaced both brake/stop lights with the OEM Sylvania's from Autozone, but I still have the dreaded light still on my car. I am guessing I have a bad relay in one of the lights???
Old 10-28-2006, 05:29 PM
losiglow

Did you see any corrosion, dirt, etc. in the bulb sockets? Make sure they are clean and dry. If so, I have no friggin idea what else it could be. You checked center brake light too right?