Notices

Linear Solenoid question

Old 10-23-2006, 10:38 AM
flyromeo3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linear Solenoid question

Not to long ago ( maybe 7 months ago ) I changed by lock up control solenoid because my car was shifting kinda rough. When ( automatic ) car shifts into gear if im accelerating hard it kinda takes forever to shift and it also feels like it slips. Its been doing this since like 80k miles. I now have 120k and even taken it to honda and they find nothing wrong with the car.

I guess this must be one of those problems that only the driver/ owner can find and no computer system out there cant.

Well i've been reading about linear solenoids and what I gather is thats what control the lock up control solenoid by means of oil pressure.

Has anyone replaced their linear solenoid? If so, what symptons did you experience and did that resolve it.

I have an 02 accord sedan 4cyl
Old 10-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a pilot a while back in the shop Had a code for one being stuck replaced it and it fixed the code and 3rd came back.you can stall test the trans to see if its slipping 1st put in to low step on the brake and set the e brake floor the gas watch you tack shouldn't go over 2500 rpm.let the trans cool down 5min then go into 2nd same thing 2500 rpms then drive and revers.the stall test will tell you if 1st 2nd or R clutch packs are slipping if 3rd or 4th are slipping this will not help it will also tell if you valve body is working properly.so if you get a 2500 rpm stall in 1st and 2nd but a 5000rpm stall in drive you valve body is mest up.i have had a accord stall at the rev limiter 1st was not even working.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:43 PM
VPUPPY

here some more info on the stall test: http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troub...a072702a_2.htm

from what i read, there is a screen/seal(filter if you will) on each solenoid(the lock up solenoid and shift solenoid). on older acura legends(http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...d.php?t=13026), some ppl have removed the solenoids and cleaned them using brake clean. they claim to have fixed shifting issues...i am not sure if that is applicable to newer honda transmissions(i am pretty sure it is). the screen/seal runs about 20 bucks per solenoid so you will need two. you may want to give this a go but do some research before you do.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:43 AM
flyromeo3

im going to try those steps. I've tried it before after I changed my lock up control solenoid and the results were fine.

Im just like stuck here because even honda tells me that my tranny is fine. Ive taken it to them 4 times and all 4 times they swear that its not a problem.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:44 AM
VPUPPY

Since you believe there is an issue, you may want to get a second opinion from a independent Honda/Acura shop or even AAMCO. Has the TCM(transmission control unit) been checked out? Has anyone verified the electrical running to the transmission?
Old 10-24-2006, 11:45 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by VPUPPY
Since you believe there is an issue, you may want to get a second opinion from a independent Honda/Acura shop or even AAMCO. Has the TCM(transmission control unit) been checked out? Has anyone verified the electrical running to the transmission?

I've never had an electrican look into this.
I do re-call about a year ago getting a CEL light
I believe it was P0740 or P7000. If im not mistaken when I looked it up and took it to pep boys it was related to the automatic transaxle.

I reset the CEL myself and It never came up again. that was around 70k miles, it was before my warranty expired.

Now that I think of it, im definitely going to have someone look at my TCM because maybe thats the problem.

Is it hard to find one online to purchase?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:42 PM
VPUPPY

I am not sure if they are hard to find online. A junkyard may be the cheapest route.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:46 AM
flyromeo3

ok, i performed that test while I was waiting for my fiancee to get a doctors referral.

I tried it in reverse, D1 & D2,
The car wouldnt go above 2500 when mashing down the pedal, while pressing on the brake and e-brake engaged.
Im sure it could of went higher but I almost had my foot to the floor.
Guess I passed the stall test.

Its funny cause last night as I was driving it was shifiting with no problem.
Im starting to think its the linear solenoid because I believe thats what regulates the pressure to all other solenoids.

cheapest price I found was 213.00.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep sounds like solenoids take them out and see if the mesh screen are clogged with gunk.Or just get new ones.i think on that trans their is shift solenoids and psi control solenoids.the shift solenoids shift it into all the gears the psi control one regulate how hard the shift is based on throttle position.you might also have a cable that controls the psi i cant remember the cable is adjustable with wide open throttle you should have just a little slack on it.

Last edited by Fuse; 10-26-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:06 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by berginr
yep sounds like solenoids take them out and see if the mesh screen are clogged with gunk.Or just get new ones.i think on that trans their is shift solenoids and psi control solenoids.the shift solenoids shift it into all the gears the psi control one regulate how hard the shift is based on throttle position.you might also have a cable that controls the psi i cant remember the cable is adjustable with wide open throttle you should have just a little slack on it.
i think its the pressure solenoid ( linear solenoid ) that i need to replace.

gotta find the lowest price now.