Notices

90 accord dies when i stop

Old 09-01-2006, 01:00 AM
djkdawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 accord dies when i stop

I fixed the problem i put how i fixed it below, and thanks everyone for helping me

90 accord dies when i stop

it stalls first and then dies

it starts and idles just fine, and drives like a champ but when i touch the brake to slow down and stop, it stalls then dies, HELP HELP HELP !!!

Last edited by djkdawg; 10-06-2006 at 09:13 AM. Reason: fixed
Old 09-01-2006, 08:43 AM
losiglow

Well, what you'll need to do is figure out another way to stop other than your brakes. I'd recommend using your e-brake or putting your foot out the open door and scraping your shoe against the asphalt till you stop. You may need to plan for a little longer stopping distance that way and new shoes every other day or so. :rofl: :hahano: :lmao: :lmfao: . No, really, that is a pretty wierd problem. If that were happening to me I'd probably just take it to the shop. Is it an auto or manual? If you apply the brakes when it is idling (not moving that is) does it still die? Or only if you are moving and apply the brakes?
Old 09-01-2006, 09:07 AM
djkdawg

well when i first start it up, its idling fine i push the brake, put it in reverse, push the brake and put it in drive just fine, when i go about 20 to 30 mph and then apply the brakes, thats when its stalls and then dies

Originally Posted by losiglow
Well, what you'll need to do is figure out another way to stop other than your brakes. I'd recommend using your e-brake or putting your foot out the open door and scraping your shoe against the asphalt till you stop. You may need to plan for a little longer stopping distance that way and new shoes every other day or so. :rofl: :hahano: :lmao: :lmfao: . No, really, that is a pretty wierd problem. If that were happening to me I'd probably just take it to the shop. Is it an auto or manual? If you apply the brakes when it is idling (not moving that is) does it still die? Or only if you are moving and apply the brakes?
Old 09-01-2006, 09:20 AM
losiglow

If it doesn't die when the brakes are applied at a standstill, then it's probably not the brakes fault it is dying. Sounds like it has something to do with the motion of stopping that kills it. Does it start back up fine after it dies? Try throwing the transmission into neutral before stopping and see if it still does it. If it doesn't, then something in the tranny, maybe a clutch, isn't disengaging and causes the engine to stall. If it still does it then, It would make me think it's something fuel related. Have you changed the fuel filter lately? It's fuel injected right?
Old 09-01-2006, 09:30 AM
djkdawg

If it doesn't die when the brakes are applied at a standstill, then it's probably not the brakes fault it is dying. Sounds like it has something to do with the motion of stopping that kills it. Does it start back up fine after it dies? Try throwing the transmission into neutral before stopping and see if it still does it. If it doesn't, then something in the tranny, maybe a clutch, isn't disengaging and causes the engine to stall. If it still does it then, It would make me think it's something fuel related. Have you changed the fuel filter lately? It's fuel injected right?
yes starts right back up with the first twist of the key, i just changed my fuel filter and yes its fuel injected, its killing me please help, this is a new tranny btw also, im also thinking its fuel related but when i push the gas, it moves. also this is a new transmission , automatic
Old 09-01-2006, 11:12 AM
luckybays

here's an idea but am not sure. could it be that the meter (the one next to the speedometer) when stop is falling below where it should be causing the engine to stop???

Last edited by luckybays; 09-01-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:59 PM
losiglow

Well, try that idea of mine with putting it in neutral before you stop. If it still dies then you can probably rule out your tranny. But if putting it in neutral before you apply the brakes and stop solves the problem, then your transmission is probably to blame as it may be a clutch sticking that then disengages when you put it back in Park to start it again. I've heard of this happening, but not with Honda's. I'm just throwing out ideas here, I really have no clue why the heck a car would do that. My old 77 Camaro would sometimes stall if I slammed on the brake too fast but that was a carburated engine, I think the float would tilt too much and cause the car to flood. But a fuel injected engine shouldn't do that. Does it stall any other time or only when you stop? Does it cruise on the freeway with no problem? Try the neutral idea and come back.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:23 PM
djkdawg

well if i put it in neutral before i stop, sometimes it will die, sometimes the idle will just fall real low and just stall then jump back up

Well, try that idea of mine with putting it in neutral before you stop. If it still dies then you can probably rule out your tranny. But if putting it in neutral before you apply the brakes and stop solves the problem, then your transmission is probably to blame as it may be a clutch sticking that then disengages when you put it back in Park to start it again. I've heard of this happening, but not with Honda's. I'm just throwing out ideas here, I really have no clue why the heck a car would do that. My old 77 Camaro would sometimes stall if I slammed on the brake too fast but that was a carburated engine, I think the float would tilt too much and cause the car to flood. But a fuel injected engine shouldn't do that. Does it stall any other time or only when you stop? Does it cruise on the freeway with no problem? Try the neutral idea and come back.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:32 PM
losiglow

Well, if it still does it, It's probably not your transmission. Dang, I'm out of ideas. Take it to the shop? Many shops will test drive it and diagnose it for free. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:05 PM
djkdawg

Well, if it still does it, It's probably not your transmission. Dang, I'm out of ideas. Take it to the shop? Many shops will test drive it and diagnose it for free. Good luck.
good idea