Notices

1st gear in traffic..

Old 06-19-2006, 03:02 PM
SecretChopSuey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gear in traffic..

Hello,

I'm just curious what everybody else's experience is with the 6 gen accord 5 spd in traffic. Every day I drive through the daily rush hour and i go speeds like 2-25 mph. I'll be either in 1st or 2nd gear and the problem i always get is I'll be in say first and i'll be on the gas, but traffic will stop in front of me, so i will let go of the gas. Then IF I don't hit the clutch and shift to neutral, the car will lurch back and forth.

This only happens in 1st and sometimes in 2nd gear. Just wondering if all accords do the same thing.

Thanks !
Old 06-19-2006, 03:30 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

that happens with me, my car shutters/shakes from controlling the gas going on and off (it wont totally shut off because if it did, it'd wouldnt run)

just gotta use your clutch more for a smoother ride.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Funkwheat

Are you new, or relatively new to driving standards? It takes some getting used to, especially in traffic. Also, if you got the car recently, every standard drives slightly different, so it takes a while to find the sweet spot. Give it a few weeks and you will learn to make it ride better in traffic.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:02 PM
SecretChopSuey

No I've been driving standards all my life say 7 years or so. But in traffic I just don't want to keep hitting the clutch like a million times. So i just leave it in one gear. thats all...My previous car did the same thing as well, a older honda civic. I was just curious to see if all hondas or just manual transmissions does the same thing.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:53 PM
vtec-y

well ill tell ya what i do in stop and go. if i am coasting at around lets say 5 mph i tap the gas and shift into first. if you get this right you can shift w/out the clutch. for the shift into second, let off the gas while in first, imediatly shift into second. the shifter will not go right in but just hold it there...not to harshly but certainly not too lightly. too harsh is hard on the syncros (i think this is true) if you are too light, it will grind.

this takes some practice. as for getting it out of a gear in stop and go:

immediatly after letting off the gas (when you feel the weight of the car move the the front again) pull the shifter into neutral.

you can also 2X clutch into first at a reasonably low speed w/out killing your syncros...it can be quite smooth. in fact i used this all today while stuck on 93 south...with crappy boston drivers around me!

i forgot what your original question was

oh right, i drive a 5th gen...my accord certainly does the same thing

--andrew
Old 06-20-2006, 06:55 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Originally Posted by SecretChopSuey
No I've been driving standards all my life say 7 years or so. But in traffic I just don't want to keep hitting the clutch like a million times. So i just leave it in one gear. thats all...My previous car did the same thing as well, a older honda civic. I was just curious to see if all hondas or just manual transmissions does the same thing.
did you know that on flat ground, your car can coast from the engine idling in gear?
i do that in traffic, it's pretty neat
Old 06-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Illicit Accord

Originally Posted by SecretChopSuey

you know there are these things in some cars called.... AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS!!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 06:59 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lurching from driveline windup, that even happened in Dad's '64 Ford when I was learning to drive. That's not a new feature. It's just that every car does it differently, & at different speeds.

Driving along in 1st, don't just take your foot off the gas. You have to lift slowly & carefully to avoid lurching. It takes some practice...
Old 06-21-2006, 11:44 AM
TaekOne
pronounced tech

lurching in 1st is a sure sign of what i think is just noobness. its what happens if youre too lazy to feather-clutch in stop and go traffic. and i'll very rarely still be in 1st if im above 8+ mph; its either 2nd or i'll coast
Old 06-21-2006, 11:47 AM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Im in 3rd gear when i go 25mph h: