Notices

Help! clunking noise under my 98 honda accord

Old 03-07-2006, 06:17 PM
myth70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! clunking noise under my 98 honda accord

This is crazy just bought a 98 honda accord lx , mint condition, one problem im hearing a clunking noise under car what can it be ? Pls help or give some advice .
Old 03-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have be more specific... where and when does it happen?
Old 03-07-2006, 06:45 PM
myth70

Its kinda weird when im driving and hit small bumps in the road , i thought it might be the muffler but i looked under the car and it seems to be intact, the undercarriage looks clean. Im new to this forum thing any bit of advice would help.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Vizion

Check your anti-roll bar linkages on the front tires. If not, check your shock by push it hard on it and release it and watch for the bounce.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:48 PM
myth70

Yeh i had a friend check my shocks this morning he said my shocks were good, im not sure what a anti roll bar linkage is but i will look it up, hey thanks , this forum thing is pretty cool i didnt think i would get a response. Thanks
Old 03-07-2006, 08:28 PM
scanrps
Honda Parts Tech

I think its the sway bar links too, but the rear ones. Honda has updated
ones that are thicker then the originals.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:46 PM
myth70

So is it that it needs possibly thicker sway bar links, its weird because the car runs perfect its just that annoying noise, its a powerful 4cyl vtec, it was kept in perfect condition just that noise .
Old 03-08-2006, 05:30 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myth70
So is it that it needs possibly thicker sway bar links, its weird because the car runs perfect its just that annoying noise, its a powerful 4cyl vtec, it was kept in perfect condition just that noise .
Uh no it just needs non-broken ones if they're broken.

Take it into a mechanic and have him look at it. Could be tie rod ball joint, control arm ball joints, sway bar end links, blown strut, etc. It's better to get good advice and fix the problem right away than throw parts at it.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Big AL
Swollen Member

I had a clunking noise with my 98 accord lx about 3 years ago. It's just like you described yours. My turned out to be from the work of a squirrel. Apparently some squirrel found a home inside a rubber boot that protects the front struts I think. Anyways, that damn squirrel stored a bunch of nuts inside the boot and when I went to drive it, it somehow bent my upper control arm and a bunch of other stuff. The strut was ruined as well. That was the wierdest thing I've ever had happen to me. It also cost me $666 from the dealership to get it fixed. I'm convinced it was an omen. Maybe your problem is from a squirrel storing his nuts in one of your boots too. Wouldn't that be wierd.