Notices

Accord 2000 - Horn Problem.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Alessandro80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When one replaces the "Horn ring", do you need to replace the main steering wheel nut with a factory/dealer piece, or can you use the same nut/or simply loctite the nut in place? Please advise....Driving around w/ no horn sux (hope to fix cruise as well as listed in previous posts and have the (salvaged)ring already)....which locktite, if possible, to be used? AuZo does not stock the part (but they do have the puller)....rather not pay the dealer price if factory nut is required, but if that's what's required, any sources other than dealer or Honda?
Old 12-31-2014, 03:31 AM
webie

Originally Posted by Alessandro80
When one replaces the "Horn ring", do you need to replace the main steering wheel nut with a factory/dealer piece, or can you use the same nut/or simply loctite the nut in place? Please advise....Driving around w/ no horn sux (hope to fix cruise as well as listed in previous posts and have the (salvaged)ring already)....which locktite, if possible, to be used? AuZo does not stock the part (but they do have the puller)....rather not pay the dealer price if factory nut is required, but if that's what's required, any sources other than dealer or Honda?
Hi,

Don't know about the "Horn ring" or "wheel nut", but my problem was solved by replacing the "srs cable reel". I think there are some special tools needed to remove the steering wheel. So, I took it to a mechanic who replaced it for around $45. I don't remember he using a new "nut"; at least I didn't bring/bought one. That was almost 7 years ago. Still no problem and car running great @ 220,000mi /with horn ;c)

Hope this helps!
Old 01-01-2015, 09:41 PM
Alessandro80

"Horn ring" aka srs cable reel. See above post listed as "Cable reel replacement procedure" (by DOZ5) w/ pdf attachment - see last page, pic at bottom L - refers to new nut for steering wheel. Did you or your mechanic replace it or use the old one?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:39 AM
webie

Originally Posted by Alessandro80
"Horn ring" aka srs cable reel. See above post listed as "Cable reel replacement procedure" (by DOZ5) w/ pdf attachment - see last page, pic at bottom L - refers to new nut for steering wheel. Did you or your mechanic replace it or use the old one?
I'm pretty sure he used the old one, at least I did not bought a new one. But for the peace of mind I would probably follow the recommendation of a new one. I think it should cost no more than $2-$4 at least.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:15 PM
blangston44

My 2000 Honda accord has same horn problem. Works when it wants to along with radio volume control on steering wheel. I have replaced cable reel, did not fix problem. Sometimes if you turn a corner it will start working. When you turn off the car and lock doors with key fob horn blows EVERY TIME. Nothing wrong with horn. My SRS light has been on for 10+ years. Gave up on that after dealer reset it 2xs and it came back on again. Obviously they did not know how to fix the SRS lite.

Horn works sometimes when you start driving and then stops after a few miles. Any thoughts. Could airbag be bad. No button for horn you just push on center of airbag to blow the horn.

Thanks

Bill
Old 09-24-2015, 06:30 AM
bobright

Default Where does ground come into horn switch in airbag?

I have 1999 Accord EX 3l exactly same problem as you where horn and radio controls on steering wheel only work when turning wheel off-center. Had dealer install new clock spring still has same problem. Probably bad harness connector at clock spring or airbag. Maybe bad ground. Not sure what to do next. Does any one know where the ground comes (wire color?) into the airbag to allow the horn switch to activate the horn relay?

Last edited by bobright; 09-24-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:35 AM
blangston44

Default Thanks Bobright

Thanks Bob, I will let you know if I find problem. My mechanic has been trying to figure it out. I think I am going to have him see if he can install new wiring harness, depending on cost.

Thanks

Bill Langston

Originally Posted by bobright
I have 1999 Accord EX 3l exactly same problem as you where horn and radio controls on steering wheel only work when turning wheel off-center. Had dealer install new clock spring still has same problem. Probably bad harness connector at clock spring or airbag. Maybe bad ground. Not sure what to do next. Does any one know where the ground comes (wire color?) into the airbag to allow the horn switch to activate the horn relay?
Old 09-24-2015, 03:49 PM
bobright

Thanks Bill, I'll stay tuned!
Bob
Old 09-26-2015, 02:54 AM
bobright

Check out Service Bulletin 03-022! It solved my problem of intermittent horn and radio controls operation 1999 Accord ex 3L.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:32 AM
Lexy Thompson

I think the horns are self-grounded. IOW there's only one wire (hot). Check for dirt & rust where the horn is bolted to its bracket. & the bracket bolted to whatever...