Notices

Discolored rotors - problem?

Old 12-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Accord2005NJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discolored rotors - problem?

Hi,

I noticed that my front rotors (which are still making noise when braking over 60 mph - but no shaking in pedal or wheel) are somewhat discolored.

Is this semi-normal or something I should bring up with the dealer? I have 2005 Accord LX Auto with 13k miles (I think brakes are covered up to 12k).

Thx
Old 12-21-2005, 05:46 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

what color are you seeing exactly? Mine constantly turn rust orange, but that's normal.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:42 PM
DarkSideAccord
Chidori-chan :love:

^^werd... be more specific.... rotors usually turn to an orange rotor cos of rust(if u live in a damp place), or prob black with brake dust if u live in a drier area like so cal
Old 12-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Accord2005NJ

Hi,

I am not sure how to describe this. Each rotor has like different shades of metalic colors (barely visible but still). They are dark (not orange) and they don't look like they are the same color all over?
Old 12-23-2005, 09:24 AM
tkamiya

If you are seeing sort of shiny and deep - blue-ish, purplish, and non-constant color, then you are perhaps describing a condition called "blue-ing." This is usually a result of excessive heat generated by calipers not releasing correctly. It will cause the brake pads to constantly rub against the rotors and generate heat.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Accord2005NJ

Originally Posted by tkamiya
If you are seeing sort of shiny and deep - blue-ish, purplish, and non-constant color, then you are perhaps describing a condition called "blue-ing." This is usually a result of excessive heat generated by calipers not releasing correctly. It will cause the brake pads to constantly rub against the rotors and generate heat.
Thanks thamiya. Would this be easy to correct (i.e. adjust the calpiers?)
Old 12-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by Accord2005NJ
(i.e. adjust the calpiers?)
You can't "adjust" brake calipers. There is nothing to adjust.

If they work, there is no real problem... high speed braking noise is unusual, though. If you brought it back to the dealer they will probably kick you out with an NPF ("No Problem Found.") If it really bugs you though, you should take it to a dealer anyway. Start raising hell now so they have a record of it.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:47 PM
tkamiya

Originally Posted by Accord2005NJ
Thanks thamiya. Would this be easy to correct (i.e. adjust the calpiers?)
No, there is nothing to adjust on calipers. It either works as designed or it doesn't. It will have to be cleaned, rebuilt, or replaced. It could also be severly glazed pads.

Regarding your braking noise at speed, I'd suggest you insist on having the technician ride with you so you can show him the symptoms. When you tell the advisor your concerns, he will usually just write something like "customer complains of brake noise at speed." It is not sufficient to convey enough details to the ones who will actually have to fix the issue. Remember, if he can't see or hear the problem, he will be just guessing at the cause. You may have to insist on this. If your dealer won't do it, take your business elsewhere.

Good luck.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Accord2005NJ

Hi Kai and tkamiya,

Thank you both for posting.

Best regards.