Notices

1997 Accord door jamb switch

Old 12-20-2005, 08:21 PM
kensey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Accord door jamb switch

My 1997 Accord just started having a funny problem with the front passenger-side door switch. While driving, if I make a hard left or a hard stop, or if I push on the center rear edge of the door at any time, the "door-open" sensor triggers, and the dome light and dashboard warning light go on momentarily.

This door has a slight fit issue -- when it's closed there is a gap of about 1/8" between where the rear edge of the door should be to line up with the rear passenger door, and where the edge actually is. You can push it in till it lines up, but it goes back out when you let go. The door does appear to latch quite firmly, but there's just enough play to let the switch go out enough to trigger the sensor if a slight outward force is applied. Also at high speeds I often hear wind whistling around the door like the window was open a crack (but it's not).

Which is the way to go on this?

* Fix the fit of the door? How do I do this? Or do I turn this over to my mechanic?
* Fix or replace the switch?
* Stick a thin pad on the door jamb to push the switch in a little more and forget about it?

Is this a known common issue for 1997 Accords (like the worn-out master power window switch I just replaced) or is it just one of those things that happen?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:10 PM
honda guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just adjust the door. loosen the two phollips screws on the striker in the jam and move it in. Us a pencil to trace it first so you know how much to move it. And this way you know if it accidentaly moves up or down.