Notices

1998 O2 sensors and Catalytic Converter?

Old 12-15-2005, 07:46 AM
Digiti123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 O2 sensors and Catalytic Converter?

I had some slightly rough idle problems with my 1998 4cyl Accord LX 83,000 miles, so I took it to my local shop for diagnosis. He replaced rear engine mount and said he found nothing wrong otherwise. A week later the CEL came on showing a problem fault code for O2 sensor and Catalytic Converter at the same shop. He reset the ecu and said he would give me an estimate for repairs to these components if the CEL came on again and threw the same codes. He says my car is California emissions so it has TWO catalytic converters requiring big bucks for repair i.e : front O2 sensor $139, rear O2 sensor $139, one catalyst $437 and the other $1055 plus labor and NY tax! I called my Honda dealer to find out what he would charge. The parts guy ran my VIN and said my car has only one Catalytic Converter and two O2 sensors?? His estimate was as follows: Front O2 sensor $158.13, rear sensor $158.13, Catalytic Converter $ 771.59 parts and $86 for catalytic converter and $ 46 for O2 sensor install labor plus tax. To say the least I am confused!! Does my car have two converter or not?? Which is the better deal? Sorry for the long read. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:57 AM
lenny_vp

Originally Posted by Digiti123
I had some slightly rough idle problems with my 1998 4cyl Accord LX 83,000 miles, so I took it to my local shop for diagnosis. He replaced rear engine mount and said he found nothing wrong otherwise. A week later the CEL came on showing a problem fault code for O2 sensor and Catalytic Converter at the same shop. He reset the ecu and said he would give me an estimate for repairs to these components if the CEL came on again and threw the same codes. He says my car is California emissions so it has TWO catalytic converters requiring big bucks for repair i.e : front O2 sensor $139, rear O2 sensor $139, one catalyst $437 and the other $1055 plus labor and NY tax! I called my Honda dealer to find out what he would charge. The parts guy ran my VIN and said my car has only one Catalytic Converter and two O2 sensors?? His estimate was as follows: Front O2 sensor $158.13, rear sensor $158.13, Catalytic Converter $ 771.59 parts and $86 for catalytic converter and $ 46 for O2 sensor install labor plus tax. To say the least I am confused!! Does my car have two converter or not?? Which is the better deal? Sorry for the long read. Thanks.
You mentioned NY tax.. Do you live in New York??? I know that where I live, Washington Height, Manhattan... there are these mechanics that do their work on the street and they charge like probably $60 for all that labor. But that just here.. I don't know where you live.... I think that a hell of a lot of money they charging you.

To tell you something, one time I went to a local shop and they told me that I had to change the front axels (not sure if spelling it right) and the shope wanted to charge me $800 Dollars :jawdrop: . One of the workers of the local shop told me on the down low that I should just go to the Autopart buy the axels, which costed like $100 for two of them and go to the "street mechanics" and surprisenly enough they charge me $20 for the labor. But like I said that here where I live.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:30 AM
mn__30

Call America Honda Customer service, They might give you a break.

Note: the Cat warrenty is 8 year 80000 miles.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:33 AM
mn__30

The phone number to America Honda Customer service is 1(800)999-1009
Old 12-15-2005, 02:09 PM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why are you replaceing the 02 sensors with the cat. ? unless theres somthing wrong with the sensors I wouldn't replace them do you have the trouble code ? if it's just a P0420 catalyst efficiency problem it's most likely just the cat. that car has 1 cat. not 2 the shop must not have looked .
Old 12-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Digiti123

Originally Posted by stereo
why are you replaceing the 02 sensors with the cat. ? unless theres somthing wrong with the sensors I wouldn't replace them do you have the trouble code ? if it's just a P0420 catalyst efficiency problem it's most likely just the cat. that car has 1 cat. not 2 the shop must not have looked .
I am only going on what that shop told me: O2 Sensor and Catalyst showing a fault code. I asked if it was the primary or secondary sensor I got no specific answer. They seemed to show somw glee that the car has California emissions..there more money. Like I
Old 12-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Digiti123

Originally Posted by stereo
I am only going on what that shop told me: O2 Sensor and Catalyst showing a fault code[no specific code was given to me]. I asked if it was the primary or secondary sensor I got no specific answer. They seemed to show some glee that the car has California emissions..therefore more money for them. Like I said the Honda dealer ran my VIN and said the car has ONE cat! Therefore this all contributes to my confusion.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:03 AM
strykernyc

dude u n queens and i live n queens also. take ur car to the honda dealer right here around my house. Paragon the House of Honda 5602 Northern Blvd NY
(718) 507-5000. almost every shop around here will try to rip u off. the car and o2 sensors should b eunder warranty and if anything u can always get the parts from autozone and they come with lifetime warranty. a good shop on 97th street n northern blvd where the gas station is. and also the mobile on 88th.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Digiti123

Originally Posted by strykernyc
dude u n queens and i live n queens also. take ur car to the Honda dealer right here around my house. Paragon the House of Honda 5602 Northern Blvd NY
(718) 507-5000. almost every shop around here will try to rip u off. the car and o2 sensors should b eunder warranty and if anything u can always get the parts from autozone and they come with lifetime warranty. a good shop on 97th street n northern blvd where the gas station is. and also the mobile on 88th.
The dealer I got the quote from is Hillside Honda on Hillside Avenue Jamaica N.Y. which is about a mile and one half from my home. In fact this is the dealer who sold me the car as a certified Honda used car three years ago. I will give them credit for not pulling that 2 catalyst trick. I understand that all cars that year 1998 were LEV so that any car in the fifty states made by Honda would pass that state's emissions test. Two catalysts indeed!!! I will really have to fight for warranty coverage because I am about 3,500 miles over that 80,000 cut off mark. Thanks for the tip concerning Paragon but that is a trek for me..Manhassett from where I am.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:48 PM
stereo

california cars are ULEV 2002 and older ones are made just for california so they are more strict on the emissions that come out of the tailpipe, the second 02 sensor instead of being at the end of the cat. is placed in the middle , if I were you reset the light with a scanner or by disconnecting the battery for 2 minutes if the light comes back on take it to a autozone,kragen,checkers auto parts store where they will scan your codes for free and write down the trouble code and post it up here or take it to the dealer for the problem since you will know the trouble code you will know if they are pulling a fast one.