Notices

Delayed Shifting?

Old 12-12-2005, 07:57 PM
sauron888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delayed Shifting?

I have a 91 Accord. When it is cold out (20 F) there is about a 2 sec delay in going from any gear to Reverse. Going to drive is fine, but to reverse has a delay. This occurred last winter (2004) and I thought that this was the end of the transmission because every time I've lost a transmission Reverse was the first to go. As the weather warmed up the problem went away. Its been fine until now. The weather has gotten very cold here in Connecticut in the past week and now I'm seeing this problem again. The only other thing I can tell is that there also is a delay going into park. The transmission goes into park but won't release the key on the ignition for a few seconds (longer than it should). My questions are is this all due to the cold, cable problems, or is the transmission going to be a problem??? Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated as I am extremely worried about this. Thank you.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:27 PM
ItsaHonda

On my 96, there was a delay between Park/reverse and drive. I'd say about a good 2-2.5 second delay. It had always been like that from the time I bought it (40k miles) to the time I sold it last month w/ 170k miles. Just one of those things I guess. I wouldn't be too concerned so long as it shifts fine otherwise and no other problems surface.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:55 AM
Nors
倍力恋

i had thiis problem on my 95 v6 accord. i relaced the "gear selector" in the in the shifter console, let me find the part name and edit this post though. (btw, it solved my porblem)

My key would also get stuck becuase the car didnt "know" it was in park.

edit: couldn't find the name/part number, but when i got mine i emailed my local honda dealership and he found it for me, i referred to it as "transmission gear sensor" and he knew what I ment.