Notices

Rewiring entire car (Accord experts HELP!)

Old 11-29-2005, 09:20 AM
rgalar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rewiring entire car (Accord experts HELP!)

Hey Guys,

A few weeks back a bus hit my 94 coupe accord near the front passenger fender. The body damage is not too bad but the impact was near the "under hood fuse box" and it seemed to have caused some electrical damage. 2 days after the accident, I got a short and all the electrical components started going hay wire. Headlights stayed on (the only way to turn them off was removing the bulbs). Wipers kept going even when car was off. I think the "short" came from the fuse that lights the gauges because that fuse actually melted in the fuse box causing everything else to short out. I took it to my mechanic who said all I have to do is change the fuse box. All the work would come out to $200. A day later, mechanic calls me stating that he found more problems under the dash. Apparently, all the wiring was fried. Melted together. Therefore most of the cars wiring had to be replaced. He quoted me over a $1000 in work. The insurance cut me a check for $2600 for the damage, now I'm trying to decide if I should fix the car or just put that money on a down payment for a new car. I really don't want to get into any longtime car payments considering I just paid off a different car I was financing. I really like this accord and would like to fix it up but has anyone had any experience completely rewiring a car? If so, how were the results? What do you think the cost would be?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:42 PM
Jon02Accord

have you gotten a repair quote from a honda dealer?

i would rather use the 2600 to get my car fixed and not have a car payment, ymmv
Old 11-29-2005, 01:09 PM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swaped out the wireing harness in my 94 lx to a ex one when I did my abs swap it's not too hard took me 4.5 hours to change it out from start to finish, but honda electrical repair is my specialty! if you plan to do the repair from a wrecking yard and remember to inspect the harness for damage as the parts pullers like to to cut the wire ties and end up cutting the wires
Old 11-29-2005, 01:50 PM
rgalar

How did you get your wiring done? Did you have to "gut" the car completely? Where did your get the wiring harness, junk yard? How much did cost? Sorry bout all the questions but I'm desperate.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:51 PM
rgalar

Originally Posted by Jon02Accord
have you gotten a repair quote from a honda dealer?

i would rather use the 2600 to get my car fixed and not have a car payment, ymmv
haven't taken it to a Honda Dealer yet. Leaving that as my last resort cause I know they'll take me for an arm, leg and even a head.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:56 PM
georgie

call the insurance company for a supplement to your damage. let the adjuster see whats going on himself so you can get more $$
Old 11-29-2005, 03:37 PM
rgalar

Originally Posted by georgie
call the insurance company for a supplement to your damage. let the adjuster see whats going on himself so you can get more $$
Already told insurance about the electrical damage. The car was ruled a total loss therefore they cut me a check for the cars value but allowed me to keep the car. So now I'm trying to figure out if the car is worth fixing.
The original estimate for the body damage was $3500 at a honda dealership. Now we know Body shops "mark up" the estimate when its through insurance so the body work won't even cost me half that. All I need is a new fender, bumper and door. If I get the parts and put them on myself, all I have to worry about it getting it painted.

If I could just get the electrical stuff done for less then a grand, the rest is easy.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:36 AM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rgalar
How did you get your wiring done? Did you have to "gut" the car completely? Where did your get the wiring harness, junk yard? How much did cost? Sorry bout all the questions but I'm desperate.
I picked up the harness at the wrecking yard about $200 don't know exact price as I traded for the harness ,as for installing the harness you have to pull the air-bags, dash ,center console,drop the colum. I didn't have to pull the heater box or a/c but it was a tight fit up at the top tho the most important thing is to remember to mark all plugs and make sure your replacement harness is the same by matching plugs .also a EX harness will work except you have to replace the sub harness from the driver's side by the fuse box to the rear taillights.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:16 PM
flyromeo3

why dont you sell it to someone that can fix it that way you can make a few hundred bucks or so towards a newer car??.
Why hassle trying to fix something where you dont even know where to start.

I highly doubt you'll find a place to do it for that less.
The main part of that job is labor....strenuous labor that is.
Plus who knows if its only the wiring. By those wires shorting it could of shorted other components in the car or even solenoids etc......................