Notices

Coolant Flush and Power Steering fluid change

Old 11-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Accord01Manual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Flush and Power Steering fluid change

I have the following questions regarding coolant replacement on Accord '01:

1. Although the manual states that a coolant replacement should be done at 120K miles, I wonder whether I should have my coolant flushed at every two years or 30K miles.

2. Where is the coolant plug located on '01 Accord?

Regarding Steering Fluid Change, is that necessary? The manual simply states to make sure the fluid is promperly flled, nut does not say when to change it.

Thanx.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:16 PM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1) That's not a bad idea.

2) V-6? I don't know. My '98 4-cyl has a plug on the back of the block, sorta alongside the oil filter. 2001 4-cyl is probably the same.

PS fluid... I judge that by how dirty it looks. I don't believe it's good to leave it in 'forever', but I don't have a good basis for picking an interval.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:07 PM
buster133

I changed the factory coolant in my 99 EX 4cyl and 02 EX V6 at 60K. In 01 Honda switched to a Type 2 coolant that's supposed to last 10yrs or 120K when filled from the factory. I didn't feel comfortable leaving it in that long, so both cars were drained and refilled with the new type 2 coolant. Honda says when using type 2 at the service interval the newly added coolant should last for 5yrs or 60K and the type 2 is already premixed making it easier to use. I think I am going to change it again between 30-45K even though that kind of defeats the purpose of long life coolant. I couldn't get the coolant drain bolt off so I just drained it from the bottom of the radiator. I figure if this stuff is supposed to last 10yrs or 120K, then what's left in the block at 60K should still be pretty good to be mixed with fresh coolant.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:03 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by buster133
I changed the factory coolant in my 99 EX 4cyl and 02 EX V6 at 60K. In 01 Honda switched to a Type 2 coolant that's supposed to last 10yrs or 120K when filled from the factory. I didn't feel comfortable leaving it in that long, so both cars were drained and refilled with the new type 2 coolant. Honda says when using type 2 at the service interval the newly added coolant should last for 5yrs or 60K and the type 2 is already premixed making it easier to use. I think I am going to change it again between 30-45K even though that kind of defeats the purpose of long life coolant. I couldn't get the coolant drain bolt off so I just drained it from the bottom of the radiator. I figure if this stuff is supposed to last 10yrs or 120K, then what's left in the block at 60K should still be pretty good to be mixed with fresh coolant.

good theory. I might just unplug it from the radiator also.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:16 AM
sammyg10

Default 2005 ExL Sedan

hey yall....i got a couple of noob questions related to this...maybe..

1. Do yall think its wise to do the tune up myself...its a new car with about 7k miles on it....do I just leave it to the dealer and be naiive and spend 10 times as much or is it worth buying the fluids n stuff myself ?

2. I was reading on the covers...(transmission fluid , brake fluid etc.) and most of the say "USE ONLY GENUINE HONDA OEM ....". How much truth is there to it? can i just swing by autozone or AAP and get the generic stuff ? Is there any sort of performance, compatibility risk etc etc involved with it?

I do plan to follow the directions as much as i can (For ex. for brake fluid, Im supposed to buy a dot3 or dot4)...

what do yall say?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Accord01Manual

Hm sammyg10,

Why would you want to tune your brand new car when it has only 7k miles?

There are basic maintenance that you can do yourself.

1. Anyhow, you gotta change the oil and filter after 1k miles break-in if you haven't done so already. Use 5W20 oil (any brand will do). As far as the OEM filter, I use Bosch filter. I've ordered a dozen of them and keep them i n garage since they're cheaper that Honda, and I don't want to waste time buying them individually.

2. Inflate the tires properly and rotate them.

Regarding using OEM fluid or not, at this stage, you are topping so I would play safe and use Honda OEM fluids (costing just a little bit more) to avoid mixing different types of fluids.

You can do all the above steps my byself.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:41 AM
sammyg10

Default just to confirm i AM a noob...

thanks for ur advice...appreciate it..i misused the term tuneup....ur right ....i was looking to do more like a basic maintenance...i have gotten the oil changed twice now..(every 3k) ... but do i have to call a dealer to get these oem fluids ? i remember last time i got the oil changed..the mechanic topped off all the fluids..not sure if they were oem or not..... hmmmm
Old 11-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Accord01Manual

Originally Posted by sammyg10
thanks for ur advice...appreciate it..i misused the term tuneup....ur right ....i was looking to do more like a basic maintenance...i have gotten the oil changed twice now..(every 3k) ... but do i have to call a dealer to get these oem fluids ? i remember last time i got the oil changed..the mechanic topped off all the fluids..not sure if they were oem or not..... hmmmm
If you did not take your car to the Honda Dealership to change your oil, the mechanic most likely has used generic fluids and filter.

If you want the OEM fluids, go to the dealer's part department, and buy them for future use. I would buy brake fluid, power steering, and coolant.

(motor book store) Buy a Haynes Manual to teach yourself how to perform basic maintenance. If not, educate yourself so that you will not get riped off whenever you take your car to a mechanic for repairs or service.

BTW: I've justed drained, flushed, and refilled my coolant tonight. It was very easy and saved me $100 (they charge $80 for labor, and $20 for "Quality Coolant fluid" ). My wife was pissed at me tonight so I thought I do something to clear my head.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:49 AM
93EXaccord
Engines hate me!

Originally Posted by buster133
wait do you mean you switched to orange coolant, and left green in the block... cause thats not good!

origianal question the drain plug should be above the oil filter on the back of the block, it goes straight into the water jacket so it can only be in so many places
Old 11-07-2005, 09:19 AM
buster133

No, I used Honda's Genuine Type 2 long life coolant. It's premixed and is dark green in color. The only non-honda fluids I use in my cars are washer fluid, motor oil and fuel, everything else is from Honda.