Notices

POWER STEERING RACK & PINION

Old 09-24-2005, 04:33 PM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default POWER STEERING RACK & PINION

What is the function of the POWER STEERING RACK & PINION on my accord and how do you know when it need to be replace?

the reason i ask is because yesterday i was under my car and notice the POWER STEERING RACK & PINION had some grease/oil coming out and i also notice some type of oil around the trasmission but it look like it is the same coming from the POWER STEERING RACK & PINION. thanks
Old 09-25-2005, 11:02 AM
jacktdurden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also recently noticed my Rack&Pinion boot torn to shreds, the whole assembly is pricey, but I've found a replcement boot at Autozone.com for 13.50. Hope that'll help a little!
Old 09-26-2005, 10:26 AM
strykernyc

thanks i will definitely check out autozone before any other place.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Aznboi821

Has anyone here here gotten this fixed at a shop or local honda dealer? If so, how much did it run you? b/c I think mine is really bad, when I turn the steering wheel at a complete stop, I can hear squeaking noises and when i drive on the free way I can sometimes hear something knocking, kind of sounds like something is loose. The steering wheel is a little out-of-line now..When my wheels are straight, my steering wheel is a little off... What can happen if I don't get this fixed? Thank...
Old 09-27-2005, 01:49 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by Aznboi821
Has anyone here here gotten this fixed at a shop or local honda dealer? If so, how much did it run you? b/c I think mine is really bad, when I turn the steering wheel at a complete stop, I can hear squeaking noises and when i drive on the free way I can sometimes hear something knocking, kind of sounds like something is loose. The steering wheel is a little out-of-line now..When my wheels are straight, my steering wheel is a little off... What can happen if I don't get this fixed? Thank...
Guys these are called 'tie rod arms'. Genuine Honda ones only cost like $25 and they're super easy to put on yourself. The cause of steering wheels being out of alignment would be these tie rods not being in alignment, which has to be done by professionals. Tie rods should only be replaced when the boots are torn or the joint becomes too loose.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Aznboi821

Thanks...So I should just goto an alignment shop to try to get this fixed? If I do have to replace 'tie rod arm'.. Would you happen to have instructions or diagrams for it..thanks again..

I have a 91 accord LX
Old 09-27-2005, 02:00 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by Aznboi821
Thanks...So I should just goto an alignment shop to try to get this fixed? If I do have to replace 'tie rod arm'.. Would you happen to have instructions or diagrams for it..thanks again..

I have a 91 accord LX
Yes, get an aligment. It should be done every so often anyway.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Powerplating
Plating Guru

The power rack is for enhanced steering performance if the boots are torn you should replace the rack go after market rebuild replacing the rack is not something for the inexperienced mechanic
when the boots tear dirt and dust get of the tie rods and can cause the seals in the rack to leak because trans fluid and power steering fluid look the same im sure thats what your seeing
Old 09-28-2005, 09:38 AM
strykernyc

yup exactly thanks for the reply, now i wonder where am i going to find a good mechanic or shop. the only one i know are no longer n the state. the dealer wants wayyyy to much money for this job.

the TIE ROD DUST BOOT are only $3.99 or i can get the honda seal kit for $71 but the aftermark ATSCO RACK & PINION for a 1996 HONDA ACCORD Unit Price $279.99 and core value is $105 so is $384 then i return my old one and get the $105 back. the best thing it has lifetime warranty from autozone and also tasauto.com has them. wow good thing i dont drive a V6 cause is $510 + core charge..=broke
Old 09-28-2005, 09:40 AM
strykernyc

I dont know if this has anything to do with it but when i am fully stop or have the car in park or neutral and when i move the streering wheel the rpm move up and down.
could this be because of the POWER STEERING RACK & PINION?