Notices

FAQ: Accord 6th Gen 98-02 DTCs

Old 09-13-2005, 06:45 PM
AccordManiac
Korean Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend's 2000 Accord V6 LX coupe SRS light is on all the time. No Accident and both passenger and driverside airbag are fine. How do you read the SRS error code? Example: 2-4

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:20 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatalglitch
Evening....

Took my car to Honda today because it's been shifting relatively rough lately. They said that it could be the transmission, but they would change out the "Shift Solenoid" on the transmission before they would warranty the replacement of the transmission.

Only problem is, they want over $600 for that solenoid. Can you give me some pictures/info about replacing that solenoid, and possibly where to find the solenoid for purchase?

Thanks,
Tom Callahan
Hi Tom. I had a teacher in high school named Tom Callahan, that's funny...anyway, please post that in my TSB thread and I'll get it for you when I'm at work. This thread is only for diagnostic trouble code troubleshooting and repair
Old 09-13-2005, 07:21 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by AccordManiac
My friend's 2000 Accord V6 LX coupe SRS light is on all the time. No Accident and both passenger and driverside airbag are fine. How do you read the SRS error code? Example: 2-4

Thanks.
I'm not sure about the blinking. 2-4 might mean 2 long blinks and 4 short blinks or something but I'm not 100% sure.

Edit: This was correct. I have no updated the original post to clarify any questions about SRS DTC decoding.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:24 AM
autojax

We have a 98 Accord Coupe V6 with B7XA transmission. It is shifting hard and giving the following codes: P0730 and P0740. We erased the codes, and drove it for 1 mile and now the only code it's giving is the P0730. What do we need to do?
Old 09-16-2005, 11:37 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by autojax
We have a 98 Accord Coupe V6 with B7XA transmission. It is shifting hard and giving the following codes: P0730 and P0740. We erased the codes, and drove it for 1 mile and now the only code it's giving is the P0730. What do we need to do?
Sounds like a problem with the solenoid valves/shift solenoid.

DTC P0730: Problem in Shift Control System

NOTE:

Record all freeze data before you troubleshoot.
Keep replacement solenoid valves on hand:
Torque converter clutch solenoid valve/shift solenoid valve A
Shift solenoid valves B and C
A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valves A and B
1) Check whether the OBD II scan tool indicates another code. Does the OBD II scan tool indicate another code? YES - Perform the Troubleshooting Flowchart for the indicated Code(s). Recheck for code P0730 after troubleshooting. NO - Go to step 2. NOTE: Do not continue with this troubleshooting until the causes of any other DTCs have been corrected.
2) Measure the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th clutch pressure. Is each clutch pressure within the service limit? YES - Go to step 3. NO - Repair the hydraulic system as necessary.
3) Replace the torque converter clutch solenoid valve/shift solenoid valve A.
4) Replace the shift solenoid valves B and C.
5) Replace the A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valves A and B.
6) Turn the ignition switch OFF and reset the PCM memory by removing the BACK UP fuse in the passenger's under-dash fuse/relay box for more than 10 seconds .
7) Drive the vehicle at a speed over 12 mph (20 km/h) in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear in 13 position for more than 30 seconds .
8) Recheck for code P0730. Does the OBD II scan tool indicate code P0730? YES - Replace the transmission. NO - The system is OK at this time.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:11 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Updated with SRS DTC reset procedure.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:09 PM
aust3333

Default 2000 Honda Accord SRS light on

My SRS light came on also just like AccordManiacs, but Autozone hooked up the code reader and it said no codes. The Autozone guy explained that their reader only reads engine codes and not codes such as ABS or SRS codes. I am not receiving any other light except the SRS light. Any suggestions on how to obtain the SRS code for a 2000 Honda Accord EX V6. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:14 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by aust3333
My SRS light came on also just like AccordManiacs, but Autozone hooked up the code reader and it said no codes. The Autozone guy explained that their reader only reads engine codes and not codes such as ABS or SRS codes. I am not receiving any other light except the SRS light. Any suggestions on how to obtain the SRS code for a 2000 Honda Accord EX V6. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Did you even try the paperclip method?

Edit: The paperclip method definitely works for all trouble lights...
Old 09-20-2005, 12:19 PM
aust3333

Help decoding SRS codes (00' Accord V6)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My SRS light has recently come on and Auto Zone said that they can not read the code because they read engine light codes only and their reader just gave a PASS message when they attempted to read the code. I conducted the test with a paper clip and and the ABS light blinked several codes. Is the ABS light suppose to blink or the engine light? After the ABS light blinked, it came up with codes 13, 54 and 81. Can anyone tell me what these mean. The SRS code list was kind of vague, and I was hoping for better news other than internal SRS failure. My local Honda dealer told me it would be $85.00 to diagnose the codes (ouch). Any help would be greatly appreciated. ******* UPDATE****** I have checked the forum and found that code 13 indicates "short to wire or less resistance in driver airbag inflator." Codes 54 and 81 indicate "internal failure of SRS unit". So my question to you 98CoupeV6, is it safe to say that my SRS unit needs to be replaced? After speaking with Honda, they stated that about 70% of the time it is a problem with a sensor in one of the buckles but this does not seem to be the case for me. Is my analysis correct of should I have Honda check it out anyhow. Honda says if it's a buckle, they fix it for free, if not it's going to cost me $600.00 to replace the SRS system. Will my airbags still deploy according to the codes that I am receiving? Thanks
Old 09-20-2005, 12:54 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by aust3333
Help decoding SRS codes (00' Accord V6)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My SRS light has recently come on and Auto Zone said that they can not read the code because they read engine light codes only and their reader just gave a PASS message when they attempted to read the code. I conducted the test with a paper clip and and the ABS light blinked several codes. Is the ABS light suppose to blink or the engine light? After the ABS light blinked, it came up with codes 13, 54 and 81. Can anyone tell me what these mean. The SRS code list was kind of vague, and I was hoping for better news other than internal SRS failure. My local Honda dealer told me it would be $85.00 to diagnose the codes (ouch). Any help would be greatly appreciated. ******* UPDATE****** I have checked the forum and found that code 13 indicates "short to wire or less resistance in driver airbag inflator." Codes 54 and 81 indicate "internal failure of SRS unit". So my question to you 98CoupeV6, is it safe to say that my SRS unit needs to be replaced? After speaking with Honda, they stated that about 70% of the time it is a problem with a sensor in one of the buckles but this does not seem to be the case for me. Is my analysis correct of should I have Honda check it out anyhow. Honda says if it's a buckle, they fix it for free, if not it's going to cost me $600.00 to replace the SRS system. Will my airbags still deploy according to the codes that I am receiving? Thanks
Internal failure codes don't tell us anything. This is the key: 1-3 Short to Wire or Less Resistance In Driver Airbag Inflator

DTC 1-3: Short to another wire or decreased resistance in driver's airbag inflator.

1) Erase the DTC memory.
2) Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and check that the SRS indicator light comes on for about six seconds , and then goes off. Does the SRS indicator light stay on? YES - Go to step 3. NO - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Go to Troubleshooting Intermittent Failures.
3) Disconnect the battery negative cable, and wait for three minutes .

4) Disconnect the driver's airbag 2P connector from the cable reel 2P connector (A). Connect the special tool (2 ohms ) to the cable reel 2P connector.
5) Reconnect the battery negative cable.
6) Erase the DTC memory.
7) Read the DTC. Is DTC 1-3 indicated? YES - Go to step 9. NO - Short in the driver's airbag; replace the driver's airbag.
8) Turn the ignition switch OFF . Disconnect the battery negative cable, and wait three minutes .

9) Disconnect the cable reel 2P connector from the SRS main harness 2P connector (A).
10) Connect the special tool (2 ohms ) to the SRS main harness 2P connector.
11) Reconnect the battery negative cable.
12) Erase the DTC memory.
13) Read the DTC. Is DTC 1-3 indicated? YES - Go to step 15. NO - Short in the cable reel; replace the cable reel.
14) Disconnect the battery negative cable, and wait for three minutes .

15) Disconnect the front passenger's airbag 4P connector (A) from the SRS main harness 4P connector (B).
16) Disconnect the special tool (2 ohms ) from the SRS main harness 2P connector.

17) Disconnect the SRS main harness 18P connector (A) from the SRS unit (B).

SRS Main Harness 18P Connector (Wire Side Of Female Terminals)

18) Check resistance between the No.7 terminal and the No.16 terminal of the SRS main harness 18P connector. There should be 1 M ohm or more. Is the resistance as specified? YES - Faulty SRS unit; replace the SRS unit. NO - Short in the SRS main harness; replace the SRS main harness.

Moderately easy to troubleshoot yourself. That code will tell you what has to be replaced, if anything. Hopefully resetting the memory the first time clears it. $85 please

Edit: As with the ABS system and TCS system, the SRS will not deploy when the light is on because it has detected a potentially dangerous failure.