Notices

No Brake Lights? Shift Locked?

Old 07-17-2005, 09:03 PM
SubaruGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Brake Lights? Shift Locked?

Okay, so.. I'm into Subaru's.. Anyway.. My wife drives a 1991 Honda Accord LX SW.. and just recently the automatic shifter lever was stuck in park.. no problem.. use the shift lock to drive right.. well.. I noticed that the brake lights aren't working and am assuming this to be the cause of the shifter not wanting to go out of park. EVERYTHING else is working fine including the horn and cruise control.. Unfortunately I don't have a voltimeter.. I've quadruple checked all the fuses.. and even switched out the "Stop/Horn" fuse I believe is what it is.. Oddly enough there was a 25 fuse instead of a 20 fuse in there.. This is leading me to believe that maybe something got a little too much power and shorted something... I would REALLY appriciate any suggestions to help remedy this problem!!
Old 07-18-2005, 01:55 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might need to buy a new shift lock control solenoid. If you take out the center console you'll see wires running to the shift assembly to make it light up, but also to a little box that lets the shifter shift out of park when you step on the brakes. That might somehow be the cause of the brake lights. Or, perhaps more likely, you have a bad electrical connection on the brake end of things.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:07 PM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Since you got no brake lights & also your shifter is locked... I bet you have a broken or disconnected brake pedal switch. That's what turns on the brake lights & also signals the shift-lock solenoid to release the lever.

Look up at the hinge of the brake pedal. There should be a switch somewhere up there, maybe it acts as the stop for the pedal when you aren't pressing the brakes. (Probably depends on what year, I don't own a '91.) Broken switch? Unplugged? Simply came out of it's bracket? Look for stuff like that before you buy a new shift lock solenoid..
Old 07-18-2005, 04:29 PM
SubaruGuy

The switch is perfect. Very clean.. no loose wires.. I am kind of leaning towards that as the culprit.. 190,000 miles.. maybe it just got tired.. or maybe a burnt out bulb? Is it true a burned out bulb in the brake system can have these symptoms? Thanks for the input so far guys!
Old 07-18-2005, 05:11 PM
foot

Check the brake switch for proper continuity.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:11 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think a burned-out brake light bulb can do it. If the switch closes properly, the circuit will be energized - even with a burned-out bulb.

Can't tell by looking at the switch. Got a multi-meter?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:27 PM
SubaruGuy

Originally Posted by SubaruGuy
Unfortunately I don't have a voltimeter..
or a multimeter.. i'll work it out and let you guys know how it went though.. thanks
Old 07-19-2005, 09:18 PM
foot

You can check for continuity in a switch like that with a small light bulb and a AA battery.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:22 PM
SubaruGuy

Old 07-20-2005, 12:21 AM
SubaruGuy

So the brake pedal switch is the culprit. Did a continuity test and nothing.. Any ideas how much this little switch is gonna cost me? Thanks everyone for your help!