Notices

Accord 2000 - Horn Problem.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:41 PM
webie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord 2000 - Horn Problem.

Symptom: The horn does not sound or sound after various failed attempts, even with a hard pressure on the steering wheel, when the car is On. But if I turn off the car and slight press the steering wheel the horn sounds OK.

Can someone point me how to troubleshoot this? I think it could be a “short” or maybe a “relay” because it seems to work when the ignition is off. But once I turn the car On, sometimes work, sometimes not…
Old 12-24-2005, 06:23 AM
webie

Anyone?
Old 12-26-2005, 09:18 PM
aussieaccord

my car does the same bloody thing.id like to know wot the prob is too!!!!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:38 AM
webie

I will try to check with the Honda Dealer today.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:00 AM
VPUPPY

There is a horn relay either under the hood or dash. Also, check all your fuses and check the actual horn for any damage. If it does not have a good ground, the horn may sound like this.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:06 AM
oholdeno

I have this same exact problem, does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the problem?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:26 AM
webie

When I took my car to the dealer for this problem, they told me that is related to some cable on the "Steering Column". They want me to change the "Steering Column" which is a $275 part without labor. The service advisor told me that it is a common problem on those 6gen and he has the same on his car. I never fix it, so I don’t know if this can solve our problem.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:38 AM
oholdeno

changing an entire steering column to fix a horn that works with the ignition off is ridiculous. there's got to be something wrong with a contact in the steering wheel. anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-28-2008, 11:58 AM
shipu7la

Originally Posted by webie
When I took my car to the dealer for this problem, they told me that is related to some cable on the "Steering Column". They want me to change the "Steering Column" which is a $275 part without labor. The service advisor told me that it is a common problem on those 6gen and he has the same on his car. I never fix it, so I don’t know if this can solve our problem.
I got the same problem and honda dealer told me the same. They want me to change the steering column. they gave me estimate of $600 tolal labor and parts. So, anyone have/had the same problem? Anyone fixed it yet.

Please don't say i don't need a Horn. I need it since its a safely issue.

thanks
Bill.
99 Accord, 4cyl, 2rd coupe.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:41 AM
DOZ5

Default Troubleshooting Horn

I attached schematics for my 1999 EX V6. You should have yours from the hayens manual. If you don't have a manual like the Hayens, you should get one.

Any way, Have someone help you with your troubleshootings.

To rule out your horn, take a wire and hook the horn directly to positive. Then you know the horn works.

Check the relay in the underhood fuse/relay box. For location of relay number 10 horn see attached. When the car on you should at least hear it click. If it clicks but no horn it might be bad.

Since the horn switch goes through the sterring column, I would bet the problem is the cable reel. Id different sterring wheel positions you should see different resualts.

Take a volt meter, measure 12v on the horn while somebody press the horn switch. WEAR EAR PLUGS. If you dont get around 12 volts there the problem is elsewhere.

From the schematics you will see that there are other circuits connected to the cble reel. Ignore those. and assume they work fine until you work your way up to the cable reel.

A cable reel can be purchased by it self. There is a procedure for replacing it because of the air bags SRS system.

If you need have questions please ask after you document EXACTLY how you approched the problem and what you did.

Good luck!