Notices

1992 hesitation / shudder

Old 01-04-2005, 05:35 PM
gotdurt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 hesitation / shudder - EGR?

Problem is with a 92 Accord LX automatic. It began as an intermittent hesitation / shudder on light acceleration from about 1700-2300 rpm (when warmed-up). When it did this, I could give a little gas, it would down-shift out of that rpm range and run properly. Naturally I figured that this was the tell-tale symptoms of the infamous "clogged egr ports", but after a couple of weeks of driving it this way, it began (yesterday) bogging a little outside of the given rpm range (like when I gave it gas to down-shift). The check engine light is not on, so no codes sent. Today, it began cutting out / bogging randomly, idling rough, and the only thing that seemed to make any difference was if I floored it, after some rough and sluggish acceleration, it would eventually cut back in. Still, no check engine light.

Could this still be egr? I would think that would result in low-speed symptoms only, but then it does still begin at low rpm, it just doesn't always go away once it reaches higher rpm's. As far as the CE light goes, I read somewhere on the 'net (by a pro Honda tech) that egr port blockage will not trigger codes.

The only problems with other cars I've had, with similar symptoms to this, (just to give an idea what it feals like) was an intermittent injector (1 of 2) on a tbi Chevy 350, and an ignitor coil on an RX7.

Thoughts?
Old 01-04-2005, 05:51 PM
gurpreet94560
'95 accord LX 4dr 5sp

this may seem like too simple of a solution to your problem..... but our '95 lx auto was doing exactly what you described.....and i changed the spark plugs....and ran some injector cleaner/ gas treatment.....and it was fine. also, my '95 mitsubishi mirage was doing the exact same thing, and i replaced the fuel filter and it ran much better....... hope that helps
Old 01-05-2005, 06:28 AM
gotdurt

I forgot to mention, it only begins after the car has been driven for a few minutes. The car has 123k miles.

It's hard to imagine why plugs would be this bad and intermittent, but I'll probably replace them anyway. It appears to have newish wires though, so they may already be fresh (I've only had it for a few months).
Old 01-05-2005, 09:45 AM
flyromeo3

i had a similar issue with my 02 accord at like 20k miles.
I took of from the light ( very slow of course ) and the car started to buck like a donkey.

I took it to Honda and they couldnt replicate the problem.
At the end I believe I got some bad gas. Or dirt got in the fuel lines or something.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:35 AM
gotdurt

Won't be any problem replicating this, as long as it's warmed up. The dealer just isn't convenient to me right now, besides, my experience with dealer techs shows that either they just take shots in the dark, or they lead you on for $. I don't trust them to troobleshoot it properly.