Notices

Need rough idea of cost to replace timing belt and water pump

Old 04-15-2016, 02:33 AM
The Growler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need rough idea of cost to replace timing belt and water pump

Our Accord is at 112,000 miles. I was considering doing it myself, but would like to compare it with paying a Honda dealer. Has anyone had this done recently? Would you share what you paid for the job?
Old 04-16-2016, 03:54 PM
ChrisS

Call car repair shops and ask for quotes. (check Yelp for postive feedback or ask friends/coworkers)
Honda dealers will charge more than the repair shops by far. (1.5 to 2x)

take care,
ChrisS

PS, if you're doing the repair yourself, you'll need an impact socket and the special tool to hold the main shaft pulley when disassembling and reassembling. Make sure to set the engine to TDC with the indicator mark on the cam pulley pointing to the mark on the plastic cover _before_ disassemble. The only other tricky thing is possibly removing the front motor mount to get the old timing belt out and put the new one in. (I think, I ended up removing the bolt that goes through the motor mount rubber bushing and jacking the engine up once instead of removing the mount; frozen bolts holding the motor mount.)

Last edited by ChrisS; 04-16-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:22 AM
The Growler

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, I should have thought to call Honda for an estimate. If it is not too involved I may just do it myself. Thanks.