Notices

Changes to break-in period

Old 08-18-2004, 02:14 PM
MarkPhx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changes to break-in period

The break-in for new cars nowadays is a bit different than what it used to be years ago. The owner's manual on the '04 Accord states the following for the break-in period:

* Avoid hard braking for first 200 miles
* Avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration for first 600 miles
* Do not change oil until the scheduled maintenance time

From what I remember from past cars (more than 10 yrs ago), it was also recommended that you:
* Avoid using the cruise control for first 1000 miles
* Avoid driving at a constant rate of speed for first 1000 miles
* Avoid revving engine into upper rpm ranges for first 1000 miles

So my question is.... does anyone actually know what it is about modern engines that the suggested break-in period is shorter and it doesn't seem to matter if you're on the highway using the cruise control a lot?
Old 08-18-2004, 02:17 PM
alpha

I wouldn't use cruise control during the first 1000 miles as it's best to vary your rev's during break in and cruise control or driving at a constant speed doesn't really help with that. As for the brakes, I'm surprised to see 200 miles, as I've typically heard about 600 miles for the brake break in..
Old 08-18-2004, 06:36 PM
dazco

I just hit 600 on the way to work today. (04 EX-L Accord) But i'm not planning on giving up on my break in routine till at least 1k. Why chance it? If the car's performance and reliability could be compromised for it's entire lifespan, i can wait another few weeks for peace of mind if nothing else.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:12 PM
ODUB
Banned

i hate break in periods...on my 00 accord EX sedan i was spinnin tires off the lot the day i got it and never looked back...it KILLED me when they replaced the tranny at 68k because of the defective auto things cuz i had to take it easy and drive like normal people for 600 miles to let the new tranny break in...it felt wierd tho because that tranny was adjusted for slow driving right out of the box, i had to punch it a few times to get it to redline, my old tranny would drag out in every gear and if i didn't push it to redline it would wait a bit to shift because it was waiting for me to push it...now that this one is broken in and adjusted to the way i drive, it's just like the old one, only better because there's no slipping....i love my car
Old 08-18-2004, 11:20 PM
flyromeo3

shit, as soon as i got the car out of the Honda dealership, I went home packed up my shit and drove to Miami...Broke the car in on the way down there...........
Old 08-19-2004, 08:08 AM
AcuraFanatic

* Do not change oil until the scheduled maintenance time :eh:

I can see that for the first oil change to allow the rings to sit but otherwise :eh:
Old 08-19-2004, 08:20 AM
jason2713

they told me to allow a break in period for my new tein coilover system of 500-1000miles and they are still making all sorts of noise... i mean you hear me coming down the block they squeek so loud... its now been 800-900 miles and a month later and its still making crazy noise, screw that breaking in crap.... :-P
Old 08-19-2004, 08:56 AM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
shit, as soon as i got the car out of the Honda dealership, I went home packed up my shit and drove to Miami...Broke the car in on the way down there...........
"No, son, you can't have that Honda Accord!"

"FINE! I'M GETTING IT AND MOVING OUT. FU."

lololol.