Notices

Getting the bug!

Old 08-15-2004, 09:15 AM
eternal
00AccordCoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting the bug!

I've just started on the road to modding with a CAI and indiglo guages (good deal - they came free with the CAI as the supplier had taken a bit of time to get back to me!).

The car is a 6th gen Accord Coupe 4cyl 2.0 liter auto - yes I know I won't be doing any fast 1/4 miles! However I'd like to add some power as well as a bit of customisation. New alloys to replace the stock ones are near the top of the list for more customisation, but what about other engine mods?

I'm looking for some advice on what to consider next - maybe a better exhaust system? What about ignition leads and iridium plugs? Any thoughts and ideas would be more than welcome!
Old 08-15-2004, 10:14 AM
apexivtecaccord
ITZJDM

well for starters you can get a nice cat back systm and header and maybe lower it deponding on how many mile are on the car you could put a wet NOS system on it just ideas
Old 08-15-2004, 10:20 AM
VorTECh

Could the I-5 engines from the Vigor could be Compatible in such a situation? Too many tuners feel V-6 engines are not Worthwhile to swap. How about a nice lightweight I-5 with All Aluminum changeover.
~Plus other Mods which we never really saw on the Vigor, a Sleeper car if there ever was one.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:33 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VorTECh
Could the I-5 engines from the Vigor could be Compatible in such a situation? Too many tuners feel V-6 engines are not Worthwhile to swap. How about a nice lightweight I-5 with All Aluminum changeover.
~Plus other Mods which we never really saw on the Vigor, a Sleeper car if there ever was one.
Considering there's nothing exactly special about the motor, it isnt widely supprted by the aftermarket and it'd be nearly impossible to put it in a 6th gen Accord, why?

IMO indiglo gauges are a step backward. I had them for 2 years, they got old after 2 months then stopped working so I had to buy a new gauge assembly.

your car is a 2.3L unless you live in europe.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:48 AM
eternal
00AccordCoupe

Yep - I live in the UK - so it's a 2 liter engine. Not sure why we get a smaller engine as we still have the cat, a/c, etc. and I can't imagine that our emission laws are tougher than the CARB standards?

Not sure about the guages now that you mention your problems? They fit over the top of the stock dials, so I think I may try and get away without sticking them so that if they break I can just remove them and revert to the original dials.

I've been reading about the Ecotek valve which is meant to cause swirling in the inlet manifold to produce a more evenly spaced air-fuel mixture. For GBP50 (about USD90) it is meant to improve performance and can save fuel on long journeys at steady speeds. Not sure if this is worth it or just another gadget? Anyone any experiences?
Old 08-15-2004, 02:28 PM
apexivtecaccord
ITZJDM

if you have a stick you can swap in a f20b dohc euro accord motoe with 220 stock since you live in U.K. but if you can get ahole of one let me know how much they go for cuz i am looking for one but i need the whole conversion from auto to manual for my g/f's car
Old 08-15-2004, 02:50 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by eternal
Yep - I live in the UK - so it's a 2 liter engine. Not sure why we get a smaller engine as we still have the cat, a/c, etc. and I can't imagine that our emission laws are tougher than the CARB standards?

Not sure about the guages now that you mention your problems? They fit over the top of the stock dials, so I think I may try and get away without sticking them so that if they break I can just remove them and revert to the original dials.

I've been reading about the Ecotek valve which is meant to cause swirling in the inlet manifold to produce a more evenly spaced air-fuel mixture. For GBP50 (about USD90) it is meant to improve performance and can save fuel on long journeys at steady speeds. Not sure if this is worth it or just another gadget? Anyone any experiences?
You won't get away with that, trust me. My gauges were glued down as best as I could and the speedometer and fuel gauge still always skipped a bit because they rubbed on the gauges.

Gee that Ecotek sounds suspiciously like the Tornado. Let me put it this way: If Honda didn't already think of it and it doesn't involve forced induction, don't put it on. They're a complete waste of money.

Eternal you have a lot of options, naturally all of them being quite expensive. You can swap your motor and piddily automatic out for the mighty F20B DOHC VTEC in the Accord Type-R or the venerable H22A in the Prelude. The "problem" with your engine is that it's not a good platform unless it's supercharged or turbocharged, and your automatic is gonna sap most of the power and fun out of driving. I dunno, if you're looking for performance I don't think you bought the right car.

If you don't want to swap the powertrain, just do the basic recipe for about 10-20 HP at the wheels and a grand down the drain:
- AEM CAI (which you already have)
- decent header like DC
- exhaust that's not a fart can and actually has backpressure

I dunno, to me it seems pointless to spend that kind of money on barely noticeable power gain, thats why I haven't done it. I'm, waiting till I have about 15k in the bank to drop in a CL Type-S engine (3.2L SOHC VTEC 260HP) with the 5 speed automatic paired with a supercharger, header and exhaust for a total of around 340-380 horsepower. Haha that'll be the day, but only after I get my S2000.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:59 PM
apexivtecaccord
ITZJDM

but for some of us that know how to do the swaps can do them or if you know the right people but my g/f has had every intention of changing her auto to 5 speed which is what i am doing in a couple of months i jsut need the motor tranny ecu axle's wireharness shifter shifter cables hard lines clutch reservor and mounts
Old 08-15-2004, 03:00 PM
apexivtecaccord
ITZJDM

jdm is better show points to
Old 08-15-2004, 03:33 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by apexivtecaccord
jdm is better show points to
Wow.