Notices

transmission bearing or clutch?

Old 08-10-2004, 09:50 PM
maherj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission bearing or clutch?

My sister's car has started making a grinding/rattling noise from the transmission. I searched and it sounds like a pretty common problem. There wasn't any warning signs, she just started it one day and it made the sound. It happens when ever the clutch is released, doesn't matter if it is in neutral or in gear, moving or not and it doesn't vary with RPM's. I can make it go away by engaging the clutch, but the sound doesn't stop for about two seconds after the pedal is pushed. From other threads most people agree that this is the sign of a transmission bearing.
I assumed that a transmission bearing would only make noise while it was moving. Is it a part of the clutch going out instead? Anybody been able to fix this problem with out replacing the transmission?
Thanks.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:02 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First, just to be mean, I gotta tell you that you press the clutch pedal down to DISengage the clutch. With that out of the way, it does sound like tranny bearings in your case. Biggest thing is the 2-second delay...

If it were the throw-out bearing, it would go away instantly. Most times, it goes away when you simply put a little pressure on the clutch pedal, but you don't even have to disengage the clutch.

When you're in neutral, with the clutch engaged (pedal UP), the input shaft of the tranny IS spinning. So there's a small handful of bearings that are spinning. If you suddenly disengage the clutch (press down the pedal), it takes a second or 2 for that stuff to coast to a stop. If you open the hood & listen while your sister pushes in the clutch pedal, you can probably hear it slowing down as it stops.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:34 AM
bonestock

throw out bearing maybe?
Old 08-11-2004, 11:21 AM
pirate252

I would bet input shaft bearing, like JimBlake said, its not the throw out bearing, because that wouldnt have a delay to the sound stopping.

And yes you can replace it without replacing the tranny, while you are doing it have the input shaft seal done as well, because usually when the bearing goes out, it takes the seal with it, and that will leak on your clutch and ruin it. I think i got quoted about 300 bucks to do it...but i dont remember if that was with the tranny already out or not, call around to tranny shops.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:11 PM
maherj

Originally Posted by JimBlake
First, just to be mean, I gotta tell you that you press the clutch pedal down to DISengage the clutch.
Damn, and I thought I had it right.

Is replacing the imput shaft bearing and seal easy enough to do in a garage or is there some specialty tools needed?
Anything else I should consider replacing while it is pulled apart besides the clutch?
Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:50 PM
pirate252

The seal and bearing are in the tranny in such a way that they must be taken out from the inside, im sure you could do it in your garge, but you will need to tlak to somone who has done it so see how far you have to go and what all you have to pull apart to get to them, call around and get a quote and see if its worth it to you...If you do end up trying it yourself, best of luck, and enjoy the awesome learning experience, i so wish i had a second tranny lyin to rebuild and learn from, would save me a lot of money lol.