Notices

Rear Window tint on the 98 coupe

Old 08-09-2004, 09:26 AM
Bruce_Willis
Do it Now!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Window tint on the 98 coupe

I went to set up a tint job and the guy told me 1. I cant get tint over the dot matrix on the top rear window (only cover bottom 3/4). and 2. (I have a bad tint on there now that I want removed) If I remove the old tint it could damage the rear defrost.

I've seen Coupes with the tint full on the back so I know it can be done but how?

And does removing a tint really do damage to the rear defrost and/or are there safer measures for doing this?
Old 08-09-2004, 01:51 PM
trigger man

Defroster lines being damaged are a possibility, no place will say for sure they won't ruin them. Its all in how they take it off. I had tint removed twice off mine (some idiots jacked it up) with no effect. Its just a chance you take.

With the dot matrix stuff. Its hard to tint over and get the tint ot stick. there are a few options, one is to etch the matrix stuff with a razor. It just makes a porrus surface for the tint to grab. Or two I have heared of people covering up the stuff with a vinyl like material that is just black, then the tint starts below it.

Sounds to me like they just don't want to mess around with it. I would look around some more. I looked around a lot on my tint job, had some people screw it up, had some better people fix it, but all in all I am still not 100% happy with it.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:58 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

they use a special piece of vinyl over that certain area to match.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Bruce_Willis
Do it Now!

Vinyl is a good idea.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:21 PM
CalBearz24

my sister has vinyl on her coupe.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:58 PM
alpha

I had vinyl strip done on my sedan, it's not as much as on the coupe, but works well.. as posted, its hard to get tint to stick on the dot matrix.

like trigger man said, there are more options. but to add to his post, you could also have it sandblasted, or they could use some glue. most tint shops should be able to do sandblasting, glue, or vinyl strip. some will say they just leave it untinted if you don't instruct them to do anything to it, or tint over it. i have yet to see a car that has had a successful tint over the dot matrix where nothing but the tint was applied, like the rest of the window.

and as for the rear defroster lines, as already posted, its a possibility. it kindof depends on the quality of the tint on there now, how it was applied, but mostly, how it is taken off..