Notices

92 Accord 2.2L Tining Belt Maintenance "Re-adjustment"

Old 08-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Ike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Accord 2.2L Tining Belt Maintenance "Re-adjustment"

Thanks for the replies to my last post !

One more question.......

I picked up a 92 EX Coupe from a friend and am in the process of going thru it doing PM before I begin driving my daily 100 mile commute.

Anyway, am teaching myself as I go on Honda's as this is my first one to work with. Have a good working knowledge on my Nissans as well as larger diesels-Cat, Cummins,etc (my day job)...

Here's my question:

I read a few links and posts on periodic timing belt re-adjustment by loosening the 14mm nut on the outside of lower cover.

Is this readjustment a PM requirement?

I can find nothing recommending this as a regular maintenance item. Most other timing belts you lock the tensioner and forget it.

When I R&R'd the belts, seals, tensioners, etc the guy that was in there before me left the 6mm bolt on the timing belt tensioner bracket so naturally I tensioned the belt and re installed the bolt! I have a factory Honda manual (kinda vague compared to other manufacturer's service pubs) and after reading it over again it does not say "remove 6mm bolt" I guess the title "service bolt" should have rung a bell but as I said one was installed when I removed the timing cover.

I've just about got this vehicle back together and really don't want to take that cover back off. If the belt does not need periodic readjustment I am going to leave it "as is".

Any experiences, opions, or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Ike