Notices

Car PC in 99 Accord LX

Old 08-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Maukio
99 Accord LX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car PC in 99 Accord LX

My Car PC

I had a lot of fun doing this project. I learned a lot about wiring and the like. I've done a little, wiring that is, while working on PCs, but nothing to this extent. Overall I am very pleased with the outcome and love my new carPC and touchscreen. I can't wait to get to use it more. Also, my custom shortened shift lever is coming in quite handy now. It's low and out of the way. I designed this whole project so that I could upgrade it over the future. In the future I plan on using a DC-DC power supply instead of a power inverter setup and also implement more laptop parts into my PC (Athlon XP mobile processor, laptop HDD, laptop DVD-ROM, etc). Someday I would like to purchase a GPS receiver and some software as well. When I get older I'd like to travel more. But anyway, enough of me rambling. There you have it folks.

Note - I also have larger pics if any of you are interested in seeing some of this stuff a bit more upclose.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:24 PM
SonY:)AccOrd
GOSU

wow man.. that looks so nice I give you props for doing somthing like that.. it's amazing
Old 08-08-2004, 10:18 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats exactly what i wanna do, getting ideas righ now. u did a great job. can u plug a keyboard or mouse to the pc and is it running any os like windows or linux? i wanna do something like u did but i want to b able to go online wireless from my car and download mp3s etc.... we have wireless connection here all over the city so i can be online for free 24/7. i see u have a nice hd n there thats perfect enough gbs for some thousands of mp3s i like that. what software is that in ur screen? menu. how much u spend n total n parts?
Old 08-08-2004, 10:41 AM
Maukio
99 Accord LX

Thanks for the compliments.

To answer you questions Strykernyc ...

Yes, I can plug a mouse and keyboard in there using either the USB or PS/2 ports.

I'm running Windows XP Professional which you might be able to see in this picture. I turned off the XP themes along with a lot of different useless services.

The application I have running on there is Media Car. It is a free program written by a member of the MP3car.com boards, Coyote. It's a very neat program that has everything integrated into it (music, video files, DVDs, GPS, and other applications). Also, Coyote has a skin for just about every make out there.

I highly recommend MP3car.com, it is a great resource for this type of thing. I learned most everything I need to know from there. They also have several different free software applications to download free like Media Car. There are several people on those boards with WIFI, it shouldn't be any problem at all.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:54 AM
bubbrubb

i see you are using an inverter for power. Do you get engine noise while playing back audio?
Old 08-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Maukio
99 Accord LX

Originally Posted by bubbrubb
i see you are using an inverter for power. Do you get engine noise while playing back audio?
I don't get any whatsoever. The quality sounds just as good as it did before with just my Kenwood HU. I made sure to sand the area I used for grounding well and I tightened the bolt down as hard as I could without breaking the head. I was somewhat worried about noise, but I think that as long as you make sure to ground everything to one point very well and to separate power wires from audio/video cords that you won't have any problems at all. I am very very pleased with the outcome.

Edit: Also, I was told by several that I would not be able to survive crank with this setup. I never really tested it out; I didn't care all too much to tell you the truth, but a minute ago while installing some software in there I decided to test that. I cranked it twice and it survived both times.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Intrepid241

All I can say is WOW. Great job man.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:02 PM
ReTrY

haha damn that shit looks dope why dont you put a PS2 up in there... shit all of ur friends would go anywhere with you if they could play some games while on the way to going somewhere ! anyways good job looks clean