Notices

Auto and Man tranny decelaration

Old 08-01-2004, 05:23 PM
klnyc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto and Man tranny decelaration

Sup ya,

Have you guys noticed btwn a Auto and Man tranny. When come to delcelarate, its looks like the manual decel faster and stop quicker. Even you not downshifting, if you just apply your brake and entire eng rpm just drop. Where in auto, it just wanted go and go.
if you guys have(most of you do) cat back sys and when down shift or just let off the accelarate pedal, you get the bloop,bloop,bloop rumbling sound
With auto tranny ,cant get any of that. Okay enuf...thanks
Old 08-01-2004, 05:47 PM
vassil3427

Originally Posted by klnyc
Sup ya,

Have you guys noticed btwn a Auto and Man tranny. When come to delcelarate, its looks like the manual decel faster and stop quicker. Even you not downshifting, if you just apply your brake and entire eng rpm just drop. Where in auto, it just wanted go and go.
if you guys have(most of you do) cat back sys and when down shift or just let off the accelarate pedal, you get the bloop,bloop,bloop rumbling sound
With auto tranny ,cant get any of that. Okay enuf...thanks
With a manual when you come to a stop you typically disengage the clutch (Unless you wanna stall it) and thus remove the load off the engine, allowing it to drop to idle speed.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:05 PM
klnyc

I usually dont disengage my clutch till I almost stop. I know most of ppl just put in neutral and let is coast. And most of time I dwn shft to stop. I heard with this way, your engine is hurting more.
I know some big rig, they have this brake sys called the Jake Brake. My buddy was telling me about it. The jake brake, use engine to brake. Ok enuf.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Nighthawk8k
Custom User Title:

I always put in the clutch to coast but dont always shift to neutral.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:53 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

its becuz in a manual , u control the gas and everything so that when u let off the gas, you pretty much cut most gas flow and drastically slow down the engine or let rpm's drop. as with an auto, the computer tells the engine to give more gas and this is why an auto car can float while in gear. another reason why a manual gets better gas mileage.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Downshifting is a bad idea. A brake job is cheap whereas a clutch job is expensive. Save yourself the money and use the brakes instead of downshifting.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:13 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Originally Posted by Shmoo
Downshifting is a bad idea. A brake job is cheap whereas a clutch job is expensive. Save yourself the money and use the brakes instead of downshifting.
wrong, rev matching is good...brakes are bad...if used properly, everything should last you forever.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:22 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by klnyc
... I know some big rig, they have this brake sys called the Jake Brake. My buddy was telling me about it. The jake brake, use engine to brake.
A Jacobsen brake is only for diesel engines. Diesels don't have a throttle, so engine-braking basically doesn't work. (Lift the 'gas' pedal & you just coast.) A jake brake gives the engine some compression braking, but it makes all kinds of noise... With a gasoline engine, it's like you already have a jake brake.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:31 AM
Poxy51

Default Manual Transmission and braking

I have a 94 Accord, 5 sp manual and always downshift. I have about 240,000 and still the orginal back brakes. No work on the clutch or engine at this point. So I don'th think downshifting is bad, at least not for me.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:44 AM
klnyc

Originally Posted by JimBlake
A Jacobsen brake is only for diesel engines. Diesels don't have a throttle, so engine-braking basically doesn't work. (Lift the 'gas' pedal & you just coast.) A jake brake gives the engine some compression braking, but it makes all kinds of noise... With a gasoline engine, it's like you already have a jake brake.
Yep, love that backfiring sound ahaha. Ever seen those Mack's truck dumpster with a dual 6" pipe Can you say rice?