Notices

H22 swap

Old 07-31-2004, 11:08 PM
czgo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 swap

I have been researching this topic for several days extensively now. Fairly certain i will do the swap myself. only 17, but have already lowered with eibachs and put in koni adjustables + done other mods like swaybars, catback (apexi ws2) so i do have decent mechanical abilities and all the tools and space needed. I have a 97 accord lx automatic 2 door. I will most likely get a prelude engine from a 92-95. I realize me car is obd2 and that year of car is obd1. I have seen a conversion harness so that should take car of any problems with that right? I would go with a newer engine like a 97 or newer but then i have read there is a problem with the immoblizer that causes headaches.I do plan on converting my auto to manual. Im not getting another car so please don't tell me to get a car with a manual already in it. I have done to much to this car to start all over. I know i will need quite a few parts. There aren't really any junkyards close so im not sure where im going to get them unless i get them new from the dealer....but i imagine that will not be cost effective. I will search ebay i guess.Im just not sure about the axles. I have read that its easier to just to use accord axles instead of trying to make the lude axles fit, but they never mention if they are talking about manual or auto. will my auto shafts work or do i need shafts from a manual accord? Any recemendations on the BEST place to get an engine, not necsissarly the cheapest. Should i get it online or go someplace local? it just seems like a gamble to me getting it shipped to you without ever seeing it first.....i know i have a lot of questions but i am very serious about doing this swap and would like to have a detailed plan so i don't find out later that i need something or something won't work. honestly, this is probably the most important question...how much will it cost. Right now im thinking 2300 for the engine (shipped) and hopefully no more than a few hundred for the manual conversion. and add in a few hundred for things like getting the timing belt changed and unforseen cost. I was hoping for about 2500 but in reality its probably more like 3000. One more thing, i also read that the time belt tensioner on the h22 is shit. it was recommended that it be switch to an h23 style. i figured i would get the timing belt changed anyway so is this recommended?