Notices

2004 Accord V6 governor???

Old 07-30-2004, 12:27 PM
rantou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Accord V6 governor???

I just got an 04 Accord EX-V6 and haven't had an opportunity to get it on the highway yet. I will be taking it out this weekend though, so I would like to know in advance what to expect. One person told me that they knew a person with one that only did 110. Does anybody know the max speed it should be capable of from the factory? What all is needed to modify it to get it to be unlimited?

My 02 Accord SE wasn't limited whatsoever, so I was really happy with it. It just took too long to get over 125!
Old 07-30-2004, 03:08 PM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

Friend has an 03 V6 6MT that I've ridden in, he's done 120 no problem. He didn't push it higher, but I've had my 98 4cyl up to 135 -- just SLOWLY.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:09 PM
cwa107

Originally Posted by rantou
I just got an 04 Accord EX-V6 and haven't had an opportunity to get it on the highway yet. I will be taking it out this weekend though, so I would like to know in advance what to expect. One person told me that they knew a person with one that only did 110. Does anybody know the max speed it should be capable of from the factory? What all is needed to modify it to get it to be unlimited?

My 02 Accord SE wasn't limited whatsoever, so I was really happy with it. It just took too long to get over 125!

Sorry to waste your time, as I can't really answer your question, but just a tip - if you're planning to keep that car for awhile, I'd let it break in before you top speed test it. That's a lot of load on a brand new engine. Congrats on your new ride, BTW.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:40 PM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

yes definitely let your engine break in before you attempt to put that much load in it
atleast 3-5K miles
Old 07-31-2004, 05:10 AM
rantou

Originally Posted by cwa107
Sorry to waste your time, as I can't really answer your question, but just a tip - if you're planning to keep that car for awhile, I'd let it break in before you top speed test it. That's a lot of load on a brand new engine. Congrats on your new ride, BTW.

That's what everybody is saying, so I will be very careful. My last car was broken in before I even got it, but the new one only had 25 miles on it. That really brings up the question, how does a dealership put 1000 miles on a new car that isn't even sold as a demo, and how did they drive the car? I know when I test drive cars at a dealership, I want to see its raw power.

I will keep this in mind. I do regularly drive about 80 on highways, so that shouldn't be too big of a problem to be careful. 80 is really fast enough for anybody.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:05 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cwa107
Yeah the thing is, it puts a HUGE load on your car to do speeds over 100 for any sustained period of time. It's not bad to redline the car before it's "broken in" (I've been led to believe that Honda redlines all their engines right before leaving the factory to make sure they produce enough power, but maybe they don't do it with Civics/Accords), but it is bad to do 130 when all the little suspension and chassis bits aren't yet broken in. Not to mention all the components in the engine like the seals and valves and valvesprings probably haven't completely come to shape, so it's best to not keep the revs over 4 grand for an extended amount of time.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:26 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

Originally Posted by rantou
80 is really fast enough for anybody.
Then why would you want to take off the limiting device? 100+ on the highway :nono: