Notices

Irony Strikes...

Old 07-30-2004, 08:52 AM
ND120883

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Irony Strikes...

So I was on my way to make a bank deposit, upon which time I was going to have my timing belt changed (i'm at 140k ). guess what happens! I come to a stop at an intersection, bam! The damn belt snaps, engine shuts off. :madfawk: Stupendous. What sucks is I tried to crank it a few times, not expecting it to be the belt, thus multiplying the chance of valve damage by like 10.

I've got the engine in the shop being taken care of now, however I will just not know for certain whether or not there is valve damage until after the belt is in.

From there on I will just have to hope the valves are okay...

What do ya'll think it'll run me after this if any of the valves are bent? Never had this happen before.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:45 AM
skabone69

Originally Posted by ND120883
So I was on my way to make a bank deposit, upon which time I was going to have my timing belt changed (i'm at 140k ). guess what happens! I come to a stop at an intersection, bam! The damn belt snaps, engine shuts off. :madfawk: Stupendous. What sucks is I tried to crank it a few times, not expecting it to be the belt, thus multiplying the chance of valve damage by like 10.

I've got the engine in the shop being taken care of now, however I will just not know for certain whether or not there is valve damage until after the belt is in.

From there on I will just have to hope the valves are okay...

What do ya'll think it'll run me after this if any of the valves are bent? Never had this happen before.
A buddy of mine had this happen to his dad and his accord. the valve job cost him about a grand. I hope the engine is ok.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:15 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have valve damage just swap the engine with another F series motor or upgrade to an H series.

A grand for valve work is ridiculous especially considering you can pick up decent F motors for around 300 or less.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:42 PM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

yeah you could also find a cheap h23a n-VTEC for around 1500
Old 07-31-2004, 02:17 AM
ND120883

Okay well I got the car back today, ended up being around 500 for the timing belt, balance shaft belt, and the tensioner (parts were 191 alone), 270 for labor (rape?).

The engine runs...but it has lost its smooth ride and that nice lil purr sound. It vibrates alot more now, and has more of a light growl now. Performance with the new timing belt is improved. I usually did about 3300 rpms at 70mph now its down to like 2900-3000. Excitement.

If some of the valves are damaged, would this result in a constant increase in engine vibration? I'd think it would be more of a clink clank sound from the damaged valves if anything. Is there a possibility of any other parts being damaged such as the pistons or the head?

Engine internals is beyond my DIY abilities. This will be done at a shop, at the destructive cost of labor. I think i'd go for a new engine actually...it does sound like a better deal.

What's sad is that even paying the 500 bucks for the timing belt to be done, and done before this weekend, I will still break even by friday. Being a pizza driver, which requires my car to delivery orders, I don't even blink at taking it to the shop. If it doesn't get fixed, I don't work, and I still have to pay for it to get fixed. Might as well get it done quickly and miss as little of work as I can. Need to find a new line of work that pays 15-20 an hour without college degree required...

Suggestions on a first-rate engine supplier would be fantastic. I don't have the money for the H22, and I wouldn't get that and put it in a automatic car, so that's pretty much out of the picture. I'll look around locally.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:20 AM
flyromeo3

well that happend to me in my camry few years ago.
I was cranking that engine for hours.
Only to see the timing belt hanging out of the side.

Got it fixed. Didnt mess up my valves.