Notices

1993 F22 Crank/Cam/Balance shaft seal hell

Old 04-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Hondapower10a
Avocado Green Appliance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 F22 Crank/Cam/Balance shaft seal hell

Okay, I have searched thru this site for the answer I am looking for, found close to what I need to know, but since the info found was for a Del Sol or something like that it didn't necessarily apply.

This is for a 1993 Accord with the F22A1.

So I'm going to ask the following question:

How difficult is it to change out the cam seal, balance shaft seal, and cam seal? I spent about 2 hours tonight poking around the engine area of the car trying to figure out where crap comes off. I understand that I need to:

-take off the belts
-take off the crank pulley
-take off the top and bottom timing covers
-remove timing and balance shaft belts
-carefully remove seals
-sloob up the new seals and install
-replace timing and balance shaft belts
-replace timing covers
-replace belts

BUT:

1-Does the engine need to be at TDC to do this?
2-How the F are the belts loosened? I see the adjuster bolts and the retaining bolts for the alternator and ac compressor, but they don't move after loosening all the bolts; is there a way to get these loosened to be able to move to get the belts off?
3-Is it necessary to get something to keep the engine from turning/rotating while taking off the crank pulley bolt?
4-Is it necessary to remove the engine mount to access the timing belt covers/timing belt?

Finally:

5- Would it be better to have the vehicle towed to a shop to have the seals replaced, (its not drivable (well it is drivable, but very risky), as it leaks about 1/2 quart/min from the timing cover) or should I undertake this in-depth repair? I have little experience in this field of car repair and I feel that I may be getting in way over my head.

Suggestions? Comments?..... Since its in my in-laws' garage on ramps, I need to get this done in a reasonable timeframe, and it cannot be sitting there for more than a week.

Smartass comments and BS answers (such as 'have you tried a bigass hammer?', 'sell it and buy an Integra.' or 'why dont you pull the engine and put in a H22?') may as well be kept to yourself: I'm not about to beat the F outta the car, we don't have the money to plop in a different engine, and we like the car. We have no intentions of selling it.

With that being said:

Help!!!
Old 04-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Hondapower10a
Avocado Green Appliance

and I see by the lack of responses that nobody actually knows what the hell they're doing on this site.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:42 AM
atlaccordguy
Blah h22a Blah

I think the reason no one replied is that you sound like you ave less than a little mechanical exprience and people hoped you would just take it to the shop. I tried to mess with my engine but I know my place I work with computers not engines. With this said I hope all works out for you and if you think your over your head you probably are. At least in my experience.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:53 AM
IamNemo
You know me...

The alternator belt comes off pretty easily. You just have to take off the whole tensioner bolt assembly out. There shouldn't be any tension on it at all. You sound like you know what you're doing about as much as I do...I don't think I'd risk it even though you seem to know what you're talking about enough to POSSIBLY fix it. Like I said, I think we're in the same boat on engine repair and I would personally take it to a shop for this one.

Just my advice.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Hondapower10a
Avocado Green Appliance

Okay, thank you. I thought I'd 'kick the anthill' a little with post #2. More than likely I'll take it to a shop. Bending valves doesn't sound like fun when you have nobody to blame but yourself.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:52 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

www.helminc.com

Sells the dealer service manual, this will be of HUGE value to you if you plan to fix "Foofy's" issues now, and in the future.

These dealer service manuals really helps you change all those seals.

I think Honda also had a seal-TSB for your engine/car, You may want to look into it for a repair kit to install new seals and prevent them from failing early.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:17 AM
Hondapower10a
Avocado Green Appliance

Ok, great. Thank you. I'll look into the manual and into the TSB for the seals. I talked with the local Honda house the other day and they said they have an updated version of the seals that they sell instead of the original ones.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:11 PM
XSrcing

you double poster you!!!