Notices

AC Smell

Old 10-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Mish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Smell

Been lurking this forum for awhile getting information from you all on things that I planned to do to 5th gen. You have been a big help and didn't even know it

Anyway, I searched the forums for information regarding a smell I have when I turn my AC on and couldn't find anything. It's not a burning smell or anything like that. Just a musty, stinky smell. It only lasts a little while and is worse when I have the AC on recycled air. I have noticed that I still smell it sometimes when I have the AC off and am using fresh air and the fan.

My wife had the same issue with her 4th gen before we got rid of it. Any ideas as to what it could be and how to get rid of it?

Mish
Old 10-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Weiman

haha i have that too, sometimes..i heard u can just use outside air, spray some lysol in the hole where it gets the air from and it should help...or recycle air and spray in the vent where it takes air from and it should help..too lazy to try, and iuno if it really works..
Old 10-21-2003, 03:56 PM
captainsaveaho
lovez $avinG hoe$

change the filter? or maybe an oil change?
Old 10-21-2003, 03:57 PM
captainsaveaho
lovez $avinG hoe$

change the air filter or get a oil change?
Old 10-21-2003, 05:13 PM
slo_accord

Sounds like your drain hose could be blocked. My 5th gen has the same problem, but I'm to lazy to fix it. All you gotta do though is unblock it on the passenger side.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:45 PM
JJJ784
No Soup For You!

this has been covered a few times on a couple boards, but here's the problem. it's the mold that's been growing because of the water collected. to get rid of the smell. buy some anti-septic floor cleaner like pine sol and pour it into the intake vents that are right under your windshield wipers. after you do that, turn on the vent on and let the "cleaner" do it's job. i did it to my family's cars and it works. btw, i chose lemon scented instead of other scents because it would smell weird to have pine scent inside the car. haha. hope this helps you guys.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:09 AM
Mish

Cool. Thanks for the advice.

BTW, how the heck could changing my oil have anything to do with this??? Am I missing something?

Mish
Old 10-22-2003, 10:45 AM
uclaccord

not the oil...but thas interesting...i always thought that was just normal...cuz it only came on when i got the a/c replaced...so lift up the wipers...and spray along that line w/ pine sol?...how much d'u pour...and won't that introduce nasty pine sol junk into the system?...like u don't get rid of the pine sol that u put in, so where's it go
Old 10-22-2003, 01:30 PM
JJJ784
No Soup For You!

i didn't spray. i just poured cuz mine was just a bottle. you pour it in there and it will drip to the ground. think of when you wash your car and you srpay waster there. it just drains out on the bottom. btw, just dumped it equally between the cars, so i think the amount is just arbitrary.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:04 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

eww!, just my two cents here.... They make a A/c smell elimationor that you inject into the evap box to kill any fungus growing in there from the moisture. pouring anything into the windshield cowl will do nothing but mask the smell. To really get rid of it you either use the stuff i'm talking about, or evac the a/c, pull the evap box, clean out the evaporator and replace the evap foam, then put it back together and recharge the a/c.

The cowl and the evap box are not connected..... whoever tells you pouring something in the cowl will work isn't familar will a honda evac system. it will MASK it if you are lucky but you can't fix it this way.

Try a search on google for this stuff I'm taking about, the company that we buy ours from is called MOC. It seems to work good. You simply drill a small hole into the evap box, inject the stuff, then fill the hole you just made with tape, epoxy, sealer..