Notices

Oxidized Paint

Old 08-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Alfred5279

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxidized Paint

So I got 135k on my 2000 civic LX 4dr. Stock Daily Driver.

The black paint is starting to oxidize on the roof. Its my daily driver and it is ALWAYS parked out in the street under the Sun.

Waxing is a pain in the ass and I wash only about every 2-3 months. I've been using Nufinish (yea i know, go ahead and flame me.) Its got the crapiest shine but does keep pollutants off and the water still beads after 5 washes or so. Obviously its not helping with oxidation.

Is oxidation inevitable? Im sure wax will slow it down, but who wants to do that? I'm an old fart. The days of spending 6 hours waxing before heading out are long gone.

Im looking for a ZERO maintenance solution here.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:57 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple maintenance will go a long way especially if you park your car on the street and not in a garage. Just like oil changes, you have to do it or eventually your engine will seize.

After working at a car wash for almost a year I picked up a lot of pointers and ways of detailing a car easier and quicker. The biggest arm saver of course was a random orbital buffer (don't get a rotary one or you can burn your paint). Almost cuts the time in 1/2 for polish, buffer and waxing your car. Takes me about 2 hours to do my EG, about 2-3 hours on my wife's Odyssey. I do that once a year or so.

The other thing is to get containments off the car as soon as it happens (ie: bird poop, bug splatter) cause that will stain or embed itself into your paint.

The last thing to do if you don't have time is to just rinse the car down once or twice a week to get salt and dirt off the car if you don't have time to actually wash your car. To give you an idea I rinse my car and van about once a week whether it be a quick run through a car wash or garden hose.

The other thing you can do is hire a guy like me to detail your car. Just started my own detailing business last month