Notices

1999 Honda Civic temp going up to 90%

Old 05-31-2011, 06:50 AM
josephbchua

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Honda Civic temp going up to 90%

Okay so i searched for a similar problem i am having with my coupe, but didn't find any.

So here's the deal. When i drive my car it's fine, but when i stop for even 5 minutes on a stop light, or on a bumper to bumper traffic, i notice that the temp will start to go up. It stops at about 90% of the gauge (never reaches the red bar). Once I start going again for about 40MPH, the temperature will start to go back down to the middle.

I had my thermostat replaced, and the previous owner had the radiator replaced before I bought the car. She also had the water pump replaced with the timing belt. I also had a minor pipe replacement when it had a little leak on the radiator once. I also took the car once at a mechanic, he said "he THINKS" that there might be water in the engine. He started to unplug the spark plugs and check, and he put them back. The fourth spark plug was hard to take out so he told me there is definitely water there, so he didn't bother forcing it. For a while after that, I did not have the problem, but it eventually came back. With all this, I still have the same problem.

Before I spend any money, I would just like to know if the water in the engine IS the problem and would fix this problem that I've been having. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:21 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

The 1st thing that comes to mind and the cheapest is there is air in the cooling lines. What I would do is put the front end of the car higher than the back (like on jack stands or hill). Let the car cool down for at least 2 hours. Take the radiator cap off and start the car. Let it run through 3-4 fan cycles and keep an eye on the coolant level. Might have to add some if bubbles start coming out of the system. Preferably the neck of the radiator fill should have coolant.

The other thing is the guy before you put a bad thermostat in. That is the next cheapest thing to try and easy to do.

The last thing that comes to mind is the fan relay or the fan is bad (this happened on my Civic once while in NYC in stop and go traffic). Since moving will force air through the radiator which in turn cools the fluid going into the engine.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:30 PM
waaBAAH

Sounds like your fan isn't kicking on.

During idle there is no airflow source to push away hot coolant from your condenser. During cruising there is 30-40 mph winds pushing airflow from your hot condenser.

So this is why fans kick on during idle. Try turning on your ac if equipped. The ac uses every fan possible. Do they turn on?

You may have misunderstood the mechanic. If you have water inside your combustion chamber then that cyliNder wouldn't fire. You would feel the misfire.

Do you have a cold air intake? Maybe he was just warning you of potential problems.

Does the mechanic refer to coolant as water?

Does the vehicle smoke white? Maybe that's why he thinks your burning water or coolant.