Notices

Part suggestions...LONG...

Old 06-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Spike
JDM whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part suggestions...LONG...

I have decided I'm going to be stripping down my car to nearly a rolling chassis, and start over again the right way. I've decided on most of the parts, but there are a few I'm undecided on. I want you suggestions for each function:

Suspension:
1) Shocks: I would like Tein coilovers(or Zeal B6, Apexi, or HKS), but I'd like a more economical suggestion for the time being...Koni Yellows with Skunk2 or GC coilovers? I'm looking to really slam it.

2) LCA's: SSR? I'm not sure if they make them for the 5gen coupe. Any other LCA's I should consider?

2) Roll bar: ??

3) Tie bar: ??

4) Camber kit?

5) Other suspension mods I should consider???

Braking:
1) I need to get a GSR disc swap. Where should I look for the complete setup?

2) I would like to get the Wilwood "big brake" kit for the F & R, but I'm thinking the AEM Big Brake kit, with Project U pads, and Goodridge SS lines should be fine?

3) Any other braking sugestions? Rotor size? # of pistons for each caliper? Pads? Lines?

Wheels:
1) I want a set of 16" wheels. I would like a set of JDM wheels(something like Work, 5Zigen, Gabb, Volk, or Rota's). I am looking for suggestions. I'd like them to be either all bronze, or black with polished lip. I am willing to spend a nice amount on these. They are going to need to last me a while.

Exhaust:
1) I have a d16 right now, but am planning on swapping in a b18C1 soon. My current muffler is WAY too loud and has an annoying buzz to it. Is there a muffler I can get that will transfer over to the B18? I was thinking of building up one of 2.25 mandrel bent piping, and throwing on a HKS or Apexi universal exhaust. Suggestions?

I think thats as far as I'm going now. I will be posting more as I get to the exterior, interior, and motor work.

Thanks alot!
Spike
Old 06-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Spike
JDM whore

Bump...need some help here!

Spike
Old 06-09-2003, 04:11 PM
Johnny B
Snap, Crackle, Pop....

To start...This is my setup....I like it.....1994 Honda Civic Sedan

Ground Controls Custom Spring rate to match Koni Yellow adj.

Neuspeed F+R Upper Strut Bars

Neuspeed Front Lower Tie Bar

Imported Interior C bAr Brace welded into place...

SPC Rear Lower Control Arms

Comptech Rear Sway Bar/Tie Bar Combo..(says it's for integra but if you don't know integ has same suspension as EG civic).....*just need integ conrtol arms or SPC arms like me)

Suspension Techniques Front Sway Bar....

Ingalls F+R Adj. Camber Kits....But I'm told SPC makes very good camber kits too.

----------------------------------------------------

Don't get Tein....Their over rated....Unless you go the Hyper Flex model or Higher.....I wouldn't go with any of the ones you list for coilovers.......At the autoX many people use GC's and Koni's...or H&R cup kit or coilovers.....

My self I might be getting Eibach's new Full coilover setup thats currently in production......Can be seen in any magazine ad.....

My car will have a 8 point roll cage added...and interior gutted for race in the end......But not drag...AutoX

It all depends on your need.....Drag and Auto X setups are very different........
Old 06-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Johnny B
Snap, Crackle, Pop....

For Rims....SSR Competition.........Gunmetal with polished lip....Weigh in at 11lbs 16x7 4x100 45 offset.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:14 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

I'm not the best person to answer your questions but since no one else has yet and I'm trying to be a nice guy, I'll give it a shot.

[edit]I guess I took so long writing this that I'm not the only one anymore...

Suspension:
1. For a budget suspension that works well, Koni yellows with either Skunk2 or GC sleeves will be good. Both companies offer different spring rates and lengths but if I'm not mistaken, GC has a greater selection. Also, GC has a "kit" or something to use for use with Konis. Others on this board like CivicSiRacer might be able to give you better info on that.

2. I remember seeing SRR LCA's for 5th gens as items that were either new or "coming soon". They're pretty cool and have urethane or some form of stiffer bushing material but they're also kind of pricey. If you can afford them, that'd be cool but otherwise, I'd consider the usual Integra rear LCA's if you're just looking to add a rear swaybar.

2. I'm not really familiar with roll bars for civics but I'm of the general opinion that they're not a good idea for general street use if they can come into contact with an unhelmeted head. If they're totally out of the way of your head or any passengers', like they would be on a convertible, that's cool. Other people can help you with brands or you can probably go to a reputable race car builder and have one custom made.

3. There seem to be a lot of good tie bars both name brand and copycat out there that will do the job. Generally look for the smallest number of hinges if possible. Otherwise, if the bar is adjustable, you can always "preload" it.

4. I guess I should have asked from the beginning what you are going to use the car for. If it's for road course racing or HPDEs, you'll probably want a camber kit that allows you to dial in negative camber as well as positive like the skunk2. If it's a drag car or a mostly street car where you'll need positive camber correction to get closer to or within spec, I've found that both the Ingalls and SPC kits do the job just fine.

5. If you really want to run a low ride height and you want to stay off the bumpstops, check out the extended upper spring perches by Ground Control or look into having your current ones customized. In the front, you can also modify the way the damper fork connects to the shock to gain extra clearance.

Also, swaybars are a nice way to tune your car's handling. Tires and alignment settings are also key.

Braking:
1. Yards or classifieds would be the best place to get a complete GSR setup.

2. If you want to use 16" wheels, you're going to have to research which brake kits will work with which wheels. A lot of the big brake kits out there require the use of a 17" wheel or a 16" wheel that has that lump on the rim (sorry, I don't remember what it's called) further toward the outside. For setups with a racing caliper and 2 piece rotors and whatnot that will fit under a 15" wheel, check out www.fastbrakes.com. As for your suggested setup, you should be fine. Unfortunately, I do not have first hand experience with any of these aftermarket braking setups so others will have to chime in here.

3. For track use and such, it's been repeated many times that what really matters is the size of the front rotors and calipers. There are a good number of people who track their cars with rear drum brakes without problems. There are numerous setup possibilities for you but I think that even the OEM setup with proper pads and good fluid works perfectly fine. Racing calipers like the Wilwoods and such save weight (a good 8lbs per corner in some applications!) and make pad changes a breeze among other things but you need to find out whether or not this is for you.

You'll be fine with a 4 piston setup if that's what you're looking for. What I have heard about the number of pistons is that it helps with brake modulation because the pistons are smaller. I would assume that distribution of force is better too...but I'm no expert.

When it comes to pads, get the ones that will be best (have the proper heat range) for your application. There are a bunch of them out there but the best ones for street use will not be best on a track and vice versa.

I've always been iffy about lines but I now know people running them without problems so they seem fine. Some people seem to really praise them and some people seem to think they didn't make much of a difference. I think the results might vary from car to car.

Wheels:
1. Woooo, the possibilities are endless so I'll stay out of this one.

Exhaust:
1. I think you'll be fine with 2.25 piping. I think you might need to weld an extension to the exhaust manifold when you get the B series in but this probably won't be a problem. Or you could always wait until then to have the exhaust made. I could be wrong in this department though so hopefully someone chimes in with some input.

Good luck though and HTH!
Old 06-09-2003, 06:06 PM
Slacker

Suspension is not my area so I'll spare you my thoughts But braking I might be able to help, etc.

As white94civic said it really all depends what your end plan for the car is (drag, auto-x, or show?).

As for me I'm looking to drag mainly, but do a little auto-x for fun.

So here's what I would suggest.

Braking: In my case I'm not to concered with it, but here's a few things to keep in mind. If you are planning to go for drag, you prob want to stay away from "big brake" kits, etc. Being that you will most likely slap some nice small wheels on the front at least. With big brakes you really don't have many options. But if you really are looking to get rotor's in the rear I would just look into getting the AEM big brake kit. Save you lots of time and $$$.

But if you are stuck on doing the GSR conversion, keep in mind you will also need the master brake cylinder, and whatever else goes along with that (brake lines, etc.). I would look at getting the from a salavage yard. Importautosalvage.com?

Wheels: I'm kinda close minded about this since I just got the Rota Circuits 8 in Royal gun metal with a polished lip, but from what I hear they are great and they look awesome. Not to mention they will give you a few extra $$$ in your pocket since they won't cost you an arm and a leg. Don't think you have to pay out big money to get great quality... that's not always true. Don't think you will have any probs with them lasting you a while and shit if you ever bend one it will only cost 118 for a new one

Exhaust: Any muffler you get now should tranfer over to the new motor without any problems. You may need to have a piece fabricated, but nothing to costly. I have a thermal that I love, but I need to get the silencer piece since it is a bit on the loud side. But not annoying....

I am in the process of swapping a b18 into my 99 civic right now and the cat bolted right up to the gsr header. The holes didn't match up perfectly, but close enough.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:39 AM
Spike
JDM whore

Slacker, Agent 87, White94Civic: Thanks alot for your detailed responses. I plan on using my car for mostly drag, a little auto X(might get more into as I get exposed to it), and I'll probably hit a couple shows due to having a sponser.

Suspension: I get that I should go with Koni yellows with GC coilovers. And that I should talk to people at both places about my setup, and get them to comstomize it to my ride/driving?

Sway bars, Tie bars, etc.... Go with a Type R/Beaks rear sway setup. Sounds good fro about $150. Basically, its a personal preference thing?

Roll Bar: Autopower. Just something like a 4 point one.

Braking: GSR rear disc swap and use Fastbrakes stuff to get it the way I want?

Brake lines: Try different things out and talk with others about their setup.

Exhaust: Universal exhaust mated to mandrel bent 2.25 piping. Customize it as need when I do my B18c1 swap?

Thanks to everyone who posted!

Spike