Notices

gsr swap q's

Old 05-29-2003, 11:45 PM
niko
Im driving a f_cking egg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gsr swap q's

I'm swapping a obd2 gsr into a EG civic (obd1) I already have a cat-back 2.25" exhaust installed. okay heres my questions;

1. Can I use the stock mounts from the 98 teg to fit my EG?

2 Is that true that the easiest way to do the wiring is the buy a
p72 obd1 ecu?

3. What cat should I use? My friend is gonna give me his cat from a type r teg - is that the best cat to use? does it matter?

please anybody help. We're planning on doing it this weekend
Thank You
Old 05-30-2003, 12:19 AM
Realm730

Heres a guide on a b18c1 into an eg civic
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b18cswap/swap.php

heres wiring info
http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/5g...ex.html#B18EG6

Here they sell an OBD-1 to OBD-2 or OBD-2A wire harness conversion
http://app1.hybridgarage.com/store/h...re%20Harnesses
Its on the second page, second to last on the bottom
Old 05-30-2003, 12:35 AM
undrgrndhaqer
Mr. EG

that c-speed racing doesnt help a whole lot. Doesn't give detail like needed. I could help you if you had swapped a 94 or 95 GSR because thats what i did, but newer years i have no idea. I used 95 gsr mounts on my civic. You could probably do the same. As for wiring, I never did wire anything. I didn't know if you needed to add wires and where they went and blah blah. I just left it alone. Of course, now i have a fuel enrichment problem and setting up that evap purge system would have probably helped. It's probably going to take more than a weekend. Especially if you run into problems. Mine took me about 3 months just to install. Then again, I had a fried ecu and a worn out transmission.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:46 AM
SpeedRacerEX-R

1. yes
2. yes
3. did you say testpipe?
Old 05-30-2003, 04:36 AM
Level_7

Your stock mounts should be fine.

However, you should have gotten an ODB1 B18C1. There are two types of ODB2 in the US: 96-98/OBD2 and 99-01/OBD2. They are electrically the same wrt sensors, distro, injectors, starter, and alternator; the only difference is the engine harness ECU plugs and the actual ECU. So, with your OBD2 to OBD1 swap, the issues are:
1) Injectors - not plug compatible
2) Distro - ditto
3) 2nd 02 sensor - not present
4) there's something else can't remember right now

There are a number of OBD1 ECU's that can run the C1, and you don't have to use the P72/GSR ECU if you replace the intake manifold with a single-butterfly one (the route I would take). Also, going the ODB2 to ODB1 jumper route is another possiblity.

Regarding the ITR catalytic converter...this will bolt to the GSR exahaust header collector pipe, but is not designed for the GSR and may be too restrictive. I would go for a GSR specific high flow cat.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:01 AM
Slacker

Just on a side note be prepared for things. I got a 96 GSR motor installed in my 99. Thats all I could find... anyway. I had to rip out the internals of my sotck distrubutor and replace the internal of the gsr one with them, so the wires would match. The plugs were two dif sizes. Not to mention the ECU harness adapter I needed. And if I was you I would stick with obd1. I think everyone on this board with an obd2 would prefer to have an obd1 civic.